Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing Fabric >

Storing Fabric

Storing Fabric

Old 07-25-2011, 02:09 AM
Power Poster

I see some have fabric stored in containers with lids on and off, and in cabinets with doors, and without doors on open shelves. What is the best way to store fabric? Is dust not a concern?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 AM

Humidity and sunlight are the major concerns. Moisture and starch draw bugs.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:01 AM

I have my material ruler folded and stacked on shelves in a closet. I removed the folding doors from the closet and hung dark curtains in front of it to keep the sun off of it.

I think you have to do whatever works for you. Some like bins. Some like cabinets. Some like shelves. Some like xerox boxes (which I also have a lot of material in) but for me the ruler fold and closet method works the best for me at this time in my life. Things might change.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I have my material ruler folded and stacked on shelves in a closet. ...
I think you have to do whatever works for you. Some like bins. Some like cabinets. Some like shelves. Some like xerox boxes (which I also have a lot of material in) but for me the ruler fold and closet method works the best for me at this time in my life. Things might change.
ditto
Old 07-25-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
I have my material ruler folded and stacked on shelves in a closet. ...
ditto
Me, too. I'm fortunate to have a small walk-in closet with a door for my stash. I added inexpensive shelves from an office supply store, and a few things are on hangers.

Now if I could only find a better way to store my scraps...
Old 07-25-2011, 04:27 AM

I have my material ruler folded and stacked on shelves in a closet. I removed the folding doors from the closet and hung dark curtains in front of it to keep the sun off of it.

Ditto again.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:32 AM

I use Rubbermaid containers for pretty much all my crafty stuff (patterns, scraps, fabric, yarn, beads, tools, etc). I'm at a place in my life where we're still a bit transient--renting, moving every couple years, still not sure where we'll end up permanently, so I like knowing that my crafting supplies won't require a lot of fussing next time we move. I do have my most-used items out and available in pretty vases and jars, but the bulk of my things are squirreled away in the spare bedroom, garage, and in the sewing room cubbies. It's not the prettiest solution, but it's the best for now.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:38 AM

All of my fabric is in drawers or large totes and since I have north facing windows, I'm not concerned about sun damage.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:43 AM

I have my FQ in rubbermaid by color. I like being able to put them side by side when picking fabric.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:34 AM

Most of my fabric is folded and on shelves or in drawers. I sorted it about a year ago and gave away what I didn't think I would ever use. I have found that it was helpful to go through everything and see what I have. Everything is stored away from light and windows and in a way that will keep it clean. All my scraps are stored in containers by size.