Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight of grain >

Straight of grain

Straight of grain

Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Torn is usually straighter.
Take a yard of material and fold it- don't worry about the ends yet--- make sure there are no wrinkles or it is not skewed in the Middle -- the ends will probably not be even and this is where I even them up.
Syl
Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 AM

I have never had good luck with tearing fabric. I prefer mine cut.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 AM

I've made 3 quilts and have never checked for grain. I'm working on my third and haven't had a problem yet. Guess I just got lucky, hope this ones goes as well as the others.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:51 AM

I don't tear mine when I'm making a scrap quilt out of pieces of left over fabric.
Maybe for a back of a quilt.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Absolute straight of grain is not a big deal on most quilts. Also bias is much more than a little off grain, true bias is cut at a 45 degree angle to he selvege edge. This would be very stretchy and difficult to work with (think HST's). To straighten the grain there are at least two good options. Tear across the width of the fabric, refold in the fold line and hold it up. If one of the torn edged appear longer than the other begin pulling diagonally across the long corner and work your way along the entire length of fabric a little at a time pulling every few inches as you go. After all that pulling fold again on the origianl fold line and hold it up again. If they are still not even repeat the process of pulling again until the fabric hangs even. For those who are worried about possible microscopic damage you can pull out one thread across the fabric and cut on the line left where the thread was removed. from that point you do the same stretching process. I can't begin to count how many quilts I have made and some I knew the grain was off a little. Haven't had a problem with the way they draped that I can remember.
The only time I straighten the grain on fabric is when I am making nice clothing.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 AM

I was taught in Home Ec- way more years ago than I care to admit- to always cut on the straight of the grain. We used the "pulled thread" method to make ours straight. I don't do that now, nor do I tear, ( I don't like tearing fabric) but I can straighten it up, line it up, and eyeball it pretty well.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Vat

Sharoney, I hope you didn't give that advise to any of your students.
Originally Posted by sharoney
I was taught in Home Ec- way more years ago than I care to admit- to always cut on the straight of the grain. We used the "pulled thread" method to make ours straight. I don't do that now, nor do I tear, ( I don't like tearing fabric) but I can straighten it up, line it up, and eyeball it pretty well.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
if it is not straight (on-grain) it is bias...and very stretchy...
your edges will lie flat if your pieces are cut straight. if you cut off grain your pieces easily stretch out of shape. also if you fabric is not folded on the straight grain and you cut a strip you get those little V's in your strip at the fold....patterns (including clothing and other sewing) often have a line/arrow showing which direction the pattern piece should be placed on the fabric ensuring it is situated correctly (on-grain) things do not (hang/drape) correctly if cut incorrectly
if you want your borders straight, if you want your quilt to be square, if you want it to drape evenly...it is important to cut correctly--on grain

This is exactly what I was taught many, many years ago. You stated it perfectly!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:49 AM

I remember in Home Ec many years ago we used to use two people on opposite corners of the fabric to stretch it diagonally, then again on the other corners. Teacher made us do this in the classroom before we were allowed to cut. This was for garment making. It's very important to know where the straight of grain is when sewing garments - the longer it is (a long skirt) the more important it becomes. Note: you may find garments for sale as 'seconds' that were not cut on the straight. They look normal but don't hang right. Ever had a jacket that seemed to be "pulling" on one shoulder? Straight was off.

I've never done this to fabric I am quilting with.

When cutting for quilts, the only time I worry about absolute straight is when I'm using directionals - and then it may not be the straight of grain I pay attention to if the directional isn't printed exactly to the straight of grain - and that happens quite a bit actually.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I like to sew and when everything is going well, I LOVE it. This is why I put a lot of time into prep. I starch. I make sure that the fabric is squared on the grain. I cut as acurately as possible. I make sure that I'm using the infamous scant quarter inch seam. I press as I go. I LOVE when the blocks just fall together!! So as long as the print will allow it, I do straighten the fabric.