Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight-Line horizontal vs vertical >

Straight-Line horizontal vs vertical

Straight-Line horizontal vs vertical

Old 10-09-2009, 05:30 AM

Ok...which comes first? The chicken or the egg? :?

I've read both ways and really want to use the most "professional looking" technique.

I'm doing the stitch-in-the-ditch method and I've read two ways:

1 - I should sew one vertical in the center from top to bottom, then one horizonal across the center from left to right. Then go back and do all the vertical lines from the center outward, Then do the horizonals from center to bottom

2 - I should start in the center (either horizontally or vertically, and work my way out...down on one side of the center and back up on the other side. Then repeat with the horizontals.

Which (if either) is the "best"way. Or is there another way that provides better results of the fabrics not shifting?

Thanks
Tracy

(or should this be posted in Main, instead of tutorial)

Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Administrator

yes ... it belongs in Main.

presto chango!!! POOFFF!!! Here it is. :wink:
Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 AM

For me it's always been a start in the middle and work out, going either way. I find I'm better able to keep the layers smoothed out and no wrinkles on/in any layer.

Hope it helps,
Sharon
Old 10-09-2009, 08:47 AM

But always starting at the center, using straight line quiltiing, will always leave you 2 knots in the same place, right?

I'm working on a checkboard.
If I go from center to left, it leave tails. Then to go the other way, leave tails again.

Guess I'm still a bit confused.

Any diagrams as to show what's the "proper" way ?

Tracy
Old 10-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tracy_Lit5
But always starting at the center, using straight line quiltiing, will always leave you 2 knots in the same place, right?

I'm working on a checkboard.
If I go from center to left, it leave tails. Then to go the other way, leave tails again.

Guess I'm still a bit confused.

Any diagrams as to show what's the "proper" way ?

Tracy
I think I know what you are saying and please, correct me if I misinterpreted:

When you say "center" you mean the actual center point of the quilt. That is not the case. In SID quilting you find the "center row" and start at the top of that row and sew all the way down the row. Then move over to the next row until half the quilt is secured in one direction. I usually start my SID going the long way.

At that point, turn the quilt over 180 degrees and repeat, SID-ing the other half in the opposite direction.

Then turn the quilt 90 degrees, and quilt the other direction (the short way). It really doesn't matter so much if you start in the center row, but usually, the bulk is easier to handle if you do.

Key to having no puckers when you follow that method, is to have the sandwich real tight. Puckers happen when there is too much "give" in the layers. I have had some small puckers in my quilts before and found that they blend once washed. That is also why I start with the long way first. If there are puckers, they are fewer on the short side.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:22 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Hi Tracy, I'm a complete novice at machine quilting so maybe not the best person to advise but anyway... I go top to bottom of the ditch I want to stitch in, through the middle then work outwards either way, always from top to bottom. Then the same thing crosswise. If you baste really well and keep everything smooth as you go, you shouldn't get wrinkles. :D And then you have a knot at each end - my machine doesn't tie off so I hand sew them in at the end.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:32 PM

Yes!!!!! 2 answers that I needed !! :thumbup:

In all the books I've read it always says "start in the center", but it never tells you "at the top edge" or "at the side edges"...it just says "center".
Well, to ME, center means....well CENTER.
Must be the military in me. I listen to words, and don't read in to it.

Thank you ladies !!!!!!! Guess I've been doing it right all along.

Actually I just finished a new technique (at least for me) using the strip cutting. I'll post it shortly after I take the picture.

Tracy