View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 09:22 AM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tracy_Lit5
But always starting at the center, using straight line quiltiing, will always leave you 2 knots in the same place, right?

I'm working on a checkboard.
If I go from center to left, it leave tails. Then to go the other way, leave tails again.

Guess I'm still a bit confused.

Any diagrams as to show what's the "proper" way ?

Tracy
I think I know what you are saying and please, correct me if I misinterpreted:

When you say "center" you mean the actual center point of the quilt. That is not the case. In SID quilting you find the "center row" and start at the top of that row and sew all the way down the row. Then move over to the next row until half the quilt is secured in one direction. I usually start my SID going the long way.

At that point, turn the quilt over 180 degrees and repeat, SID-ing the other half in the opposite direction.

Then turn the quilt 90 degrees, and quilt the other direction (the short way). It really doesn't matter so much if you start in the center row, but usually, the bulk is easier to handle if you do.

Key to having no puckers when you follow that method, is to have the sandwich real tight. Puckers happen when there is too much "give" in the layers. I have had some small puckers in my quilts before and found that they blend once washed. That is also why I start with the long way first. If there are puckers, they are fewer on the short side.

Hope this helps.