Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Straightening bent needles

I have several sewing needles that got bent when I used them for thick layers. Of course 2 of them are favorites. Anyone know how to straighten them? Other than not letting them get bent in the first place? I tried pliers buy can't keep a grip on the needle, even with my little beading pliers.

I have never heard of anyone trying to straighten a needle.

If anyone can do this, share the secret. I've never been able to get them straight again, either.

Power Poster
    I've tried staightening a needle with pliers and it snapped. After that I thought, what if it had broken while sewing? So not worth taking the chance of damaging my machine over the price of a new needle.

I'm assuming you mean hand sewing needles. I find that mine get bent pretty quickly when I'm doing applique or binding. I just use them that way.

It's easier to get a new needle. I would think that trying to straighten the needle will weaken it.

Blog Entries
    Buy a supply of your favorite needles and toss the bent ones. They are useless.

Blog Entries
    If you try and straighten them out, they can break and the pieces can go flying.. may not be very safe :wink: :D:D:D

When I bend hand quilting needles it is usually because the seams are thick and not paying attention. I can straighten them with needle nose pliers, but then they are weak and bend again more easily. I just try to finish the thread and get out a new needle when it is time to re-thread.

I have bent several beading needles and have straightened them with pretty good success. I learned this from my grandma, who went through the depression when you threw NOTHING away until you couldn't use it anymore. :-)
    First I try to bend them back in shape by holding them with a pair of chain-nose pliers and reshaping with a pair of bend-nose pliers.
    Then I take them to my metal block and 'gently' tap them several times with a small hammer. I rotate them as I tap.
    The hammering seems to strengthen the metal.
    Of course they are not perfectly straight, BUT I can still use them. I've done this several times with the same needle before I finally throw them away. AND always wear safety glasses when doing this procedure. Hope this helps. :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast