Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hari-Kuyo ,memorial service for broken/bent needles/pins

Hari-Kuyo ,memorial service for broken/bent needles/pins

This is so great! In Japan, on Feb 8th , is a memorial service to retire broken, bent needles & pins.
    The service is to give Thanks for their hard work. The needles are stuck in pieces of tofu or jelly. They believe all things have a spirit and soul.
    It is also a time to value small everyday objects of life that are otherwise forgotten. Burying the needles in tofu is said to symbolize rest for the needles, as they are wrapped with tenderness. It's also about the many sorrows that women are believed to carry in their hearts, the burdens that are passed onto needles in the many hours of sewing.
    They also use this time to pray for better sewing skills.
    To read more go to , www.odditycentral.com and search for Hari Kuyo... This would be a fun and good thing to do at our quilting circles, don't you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a thoughtful tradition for the Japanese to do. I know if my guild had a block of anything stuck with that many pins some would say Oh I can still use those and would take them out.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I put mine in a Crystal Light wrapper so they won't do harm to anyone in their transit to where ever broken needles go to their final resting place.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Nice sentiment behind the tradition.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Blog Entries
    There is ritual in all we do. Some make an art of it and are thankful and grateful and mindful. A lesson to be learned.
    thank you for sharing this.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Mine go into empty blood strip containers so the waste disposal men don't get stuck.

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    Mine go into one of the jars that chewing gum comes in. I can unscrew and put the used rotary blades in. I will do these things with reverence now! LOL

pal
    I am so glad that you shared that. It's a lovely thought.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

My bent, broken, not sharp pins and needles go into old prescription pill bottles with the childproof lids. Labeled sharp and when fullish they go into the garbage. Life is too short to keep using frustrating pins or needles.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Mine go in old prescription bottles, too. If you don't have one, most of the drug stores will give you one if you ask. Some have child-proof caps, too.
    Dodee