Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strip dies - or no? - for the GO Big >

Strip dies - or no? - for the GO Big

Strip dies - or no? - for the GO Big

Old 08-01-2016, 05:41 AM

I have had a GO cutter since they first came out. I now have the GO Big which is electric, and I absolutely love it. The strip dies were the first dies I bought, and I now own all of them. I think they are the bread and butter of the GO dies. With my strip dies I can cut borders, sashings, bindings, squares, and diamonds. I prep my fabric for cutting on the GO the same as I used to do when using rulers. The cuts pieces always fit so nicely together when piecing. My first quilt cut with my GO required 486 2 1/2" squares. It probably took me a maximum of 20 minutes to cut these squares. My resulting 9 patch blocks required almost no squaring up. This quilt made me a GO cutter addict. I can cut 240" of binding with 1 pass through my GO cutter. 2 passes through my GO cutter give me more than enough binding strips for a king size quilt. You just can't cut any faster or more precise than that. Did I say I LOVE my GO. I also love the quilt block dies. I just recently made a Hunter's Star quilt and was amazed at how quick I was able to cut it out, and how perfectly it pieced together. I also have a lot of the applique dies. I have never regretted buying my cutter or any of my dies. Definitely one of the best sewing/quilting tools I have ever bought.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:48 AM

Default strip cutters

The strips are accurate ,faster, and easier. There is a little more waste, especially if you are not very stingy with the outside the strip edges.I don,t use squares as much except for 5 and 2.5 inch. Diane C.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:42 AM

I, too, have the June Tailor strip cutter, and I have discovered that I am not a good user of it. I cut many, many strips for a class, and they were NOT the same width. I attribute it to slanting my rotary cutter while cutting, but I'm not really sure what caused it. I just know that I won't use it again!
Old 08-01-2016, 09:05 AM
mac

Here is my opinion:

Wow, your husband helps you cut your fabric with you? I'd say RUN and get one of those GO strippy things (I don't know what one is). I don't know any husband or never heard of any husband helping with quilting other than doing the heavy lifting (especially cutting fabric), and if you can keep him helping you, I say go for it. I think it is really wonderful that he is willing to help you with your hobby. Yeah! Husbands that help with quilting of any kind get special blessings.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I have the GO strip die bundle (6, 4,3,2.5, 1.5, 1, .5) and love them--not sure why some thing there's lots of prep to use or can't get long stripes. I can fan fold about 14" in a fold 6 layers, so about 80+". and you can then subcut into squares, rectangles and diamonds--so I personally use the strip dies the most. Plus you can cut bias strips. and my strips are so much more accurate using the Go--and my hands and shoulders hurt not at all! And it takes about 10 minutes to do what takes me about 3x that long with rotary cutting.
I do the same as quiltingshorttimer. Use my strip dies and cut them to squares, rectangles etc. For me, the dies are more accurate and faster.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:04 PM

I have te 2 1/2 die and love it. Its quick & easy. I have worn out my mat. I wish I had the 1 1/2 in die.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:08 PM

My goodness! Thank you all for the observations. Guess There had better be 40% off the strip dies soon!
DH loves using my GO Big!
Old 08-02-2016, 07:04 AM

I have one of the old strip cutters that does one at a time or more if you just stack them. It cuts 23 inches. I love it. They have newer ones out now. I don't know what they are called, but you could google them. Mine cuts up to 6 in wide.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:47 AM

I just cut binding for 12 quilts for the Dallas quilt guild. I used my Go and had them all cut in minutes. They were all perfectly cut. I measure from cutting edge to cutting edge then tear my fabric just a little larger. I have only the 2.5 die and am getting the 1.5 soon. i STORE THOSE LARGE DIES UNDER MY tv SHELF OR SOFA OR A CHAIR IN MY LIVING ROOM. iT IS A NICE FLAT SURFACE WHERE THEY WILL BE SAFE. and it is FREE storage space. Love my strip dies and sooooo would get that if my husband would cut for me. Can it get any better???
Old 08-02-2016, 09:25 AM

I love my strip dies for my Studio (Go cutter's big brother), especially for cutting binding for QOV and any project with lots of strips. I also have both the Stripology and June Taylor rulers, which I use for small quantities of strips and sections. I prefer the Stripology to the June Taylor, but they both have their uses.