Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strip Tube Ruler...love it! >

Strip Tube Ruler...love it!

Strip Tube Ruler...love it!

Old 09-28-2014, 05:16 PM

I love this was to make hst but I always forget to use this technique. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:18 AM

Yes, it is a good way as long as one remembers that the sides of the HST are now bias, not straight edged..which is no prob for some, but could be for thers......
Old 09-29-2014, 04:29 AM

Thank you Carla. That link was extremely helpful. Also thank you to the person who mentioned Jenny Doana tutorial.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:33 AM

I am laughing! I inherited a massive amount of fabric and tools about 10 years ago. This tool was in the mix and I never knew what it was for. I have been so busy creating quilts I never investigated what that tool was for. Just a triangle with lines. Well, now I know and I have a whole new world of patterns to try! Thanks for informing me about this "new" tool. It takes a village!
Old 09-29-2014, 05:43 AM

Hello everyone, I just learned to make half square triangles by sewing the 2 squares together and then cutting them in half? why would I want to cut 2 triangles and then sew those together? Just seems easier to use the squares??? I am newbie and just trying to understand this ruler. I am trying to understand a lot of new stuff. LOLLOL
Old 09-29-2014, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Yes, it is a good way as long as one remembers that the sides of the HST are now bias, not straight edged..which is no prob for some, but could be for thers......
Exactly!! And as much as I love Jenny, I do not love her HST for that very reason. Yes, you can be careful, yes, you can starch BUT it is still bias. Why re-invent the wheel??
Old 09-29-2014, 06:08 AM

I bought the ruler and the book at the Shipshewana Quilt Show and I love it. It saves so much time and it is a lot of fun to use.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello everyone, I just learned to make half square triangles by sewing the 2 squares together and then cutting them in half? why would I want to cut 2 triangles and then sew those together? Just seems easier to use the squares??? I am newbie and just trying to understand this ruler. I am trying to understand a lot of new stuff. LOLLOL
You wouldn't cut two triangles, you would sew two long strips together and cut out multiple HSTs from the strip. Once you cut, they are already HSTs But it's true you will have bias edges. I didn't find this to be a problem, but it is something to be aware of.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:27 AM

Can't recall who started the strip method but I tried cutting bias strips, then sewn on both sides and cut to create firm edges. That was so very long ago but if one really wanted to, try the strips on the bias and see how it goes. As for me, I have the WonderCut ruler and it does the same as the new triangle tool, bias edges not a problem for me.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I watched the video, MSQC and can do the same thing with my 12" that has the varying degrees of 30-45-60 for strip piecing. also realize at some point in time that I purchased the strip ruler. So I guess I'm good.