Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm quilting machine >

Long arm quilting machine

Long arm quilting machine

Old 09-29-2014, 06:23 AM

Default Long arm quilting machine

Can someone tell me how important a stitch regulator is on a long arm? I have the opportunity to purchases a 1996 Gammell Prestige without a stitch regulator. Does anyone know what this machine should be selling for? It looks like it has had very little uses and comes with a 12 ft. frame.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

I don't own a long arm but my friends Gammil is a work horse. She started quilting before regulators were available so she can control her own stitch length. If the price is really good you can practice until you get good, sorry I have no idea what a good price would be.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:37 AM

To me a stitch regulator is very important, I have tried machines with and without and I would not buy a machine without one. Maybe if I were younger and had more time to practice I could get good enough to work without one, but the stitch regulator makes it so much easier, especially if you want to slow down in a small area. Can you add a stitch regulator to the machine, might check with Gammil. Some machines you can and some you can't.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:45 AM

If you plan on doing ruler work, you will want a stitch regulator.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I 'm not sure I could have learned to LA without one. It definitely made the learning curve easier for me and I find it pretty necessary for doing slow detailed work. However, there are tons of LA quilters out there that don't have one or don't like using one. Karen McTavish prefers to not use one and our very own pumpkinpatch quilter is doing amazingly beautiful work without one. I found myself tensing up too much without one. I like having one less thing to think about when quilting. And I definitely agree with dimorarusso about needing one for ruler work. At least for me anyway.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

So, looks like I am on the other end of this spectrum... I think of a stitch regulator as the same as *cruise control* in your car, you should know how to drive before you try the cruise control, and you should learn control, how to quilt before using a stitch regulator.... Just my opinion. I learned to quilt without one. My current long arm does have one, which I never use, I do have a couple customers who rent time and do use it. Recently I was at a quilt show, trying out a new machine, the dealer commented how I have amazing control/ability without the regulator turned on; he had actually turned it off to show me how much I would need it, find it beneficial.... Backfired.... I told him my ability was due to 10 years of practice. when I first shopped for my machine the classes I took were on a non-regulated machine. I think everyone should be able to use their machine with and without, not be dependent upon it.... Learn to drive, then learn how fun cruise control can be....
Old 09-29-2014, 07:40 AM

To me it is important. I have a Gammil as well with the regulator on it. I know that even though I think iIm going the same speed when you do a curve you have a tendancy to speed up without realizing it. On my domestic machine when i'm doing something small, it has a speed monitor so I can force it to go fairly slowly so that i'm directing it but with the long arm it is so hard to do that.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

My stitch regulator had broken so many times that I just bit the bullet & learned to use the machine without it. I don't do quilt for shows, and my stitches lengths are not 100 consistent, but they are pretty good. It may take you a bit more practice in the beginning, but it certainly is doable. The only time I miss the SR is when I use a ruler or template, but I'm slowly learning that skill too.