Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Burying knots >

Burying knots

Burying knots

Old 09-29-2014, 04:15 AM

Default Burying knots

Good morning -

Hoping for some advice here. I have always buried knots, to the point where I actually lifted part if a nail pulling them tight (not recommended). Unfortunately, the fabric I'm popping through is rather loosely woven, IMO, although it is a first quality LQS fabric. (Henry Glass, "redwork, blackwork, indigo"). I have increased the size of the knot a little, but I am very afraid that the knits will not stay buried. They are largely around the perimeter. I am desperately hoping that washing will help. The background fabric is prewashed and has been handled a bit, making it softer.

now that I am needing to add a bit more to the middle of the blocks, I am wondering if I should handle it another way. When I tried doing tiny stitches at the start of a seem, it seemed to really show as a dent in the block. Was I maybe doing it wrong? Is there something better to do? I am thinking of going around a 2" square in each block, either in the ditch or as an echo.

thanks,
Charlotte, who is probably overthinking this
Old 09-29-2014, 04:38 AM

I presume you are talking hand quilting? Are you also burying it in the batting? Kind of going up and down in there to really "catch"? I am sure you are....maybe if after you bury take your first stitch as a back stitch as a double sure......just some thoughts that might help
Old 09-29-2014, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

I always bury my knots. I usually do a twice wrap of the thread to make my knot, sometimes three wraps if I think the knot will pop back through. I pull the knot down to the fabric and using a pin/needle, separate the threads of the fabric enough for the knot to pop through and then using the pin, coax the fabric weave back together. I also leave a tail after the knit buried in the sandwich whenever possible.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:47 AM

I'm sorry to have explained this so poorly. . I am machine quilting and am knotting threads at the end of a line. And the knots are just slipping through the fabric without any resistance. I am used to popping them. So, now, going back into each block to add quilting around a center 2" square (or something similar), I am afraid to add more knots that slip in so easily. I do love the fabric, but it is providing no resistance to what I think are pretty hefty knots. So I was wondering if I should be trying another way of anchoring the threads or if knots don't usually come flying back out like I am imagining them.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 09-29-2014, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Have you tried a couple back stitches?
Old 09-29-2014, 05:38 AM

I also don't like to do the anchoring stitching when machine quilting, and prefer burying my knots; but it sounds as though you may not have any other recourse with this fabric. Since I haven't used the tiny stitch method, I can't give you any helpful hints about how to make it less conspicuous.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Try pulling the threads to the back of your work and if the fabric is different there, bury your knots on that side.

Last edited by Tartan; 09-29-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:45 AM

What a good idea!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Try pulling the threads to the back of your work and if the fabric is different there, bury your knots on that side.
Oh, Tartan, I so wish I could try that! Unfortunately, the back fabric is another part of the same line. I do realize now, though, that since the next quilt has a tight batik back, I will be in less trouble. If I can just finish this one . . . .

Thanks for the sympathetic responses. I sort of need fluffing up today.

Maybe I should see how the tiny stitch thing works with this fabric. I have some blocks I didn't use.

Hugs,
Charlotte