Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Start/end by burying thread or tiny stitches?

Start/end by burying thread or tiny stitches?

I have always knotted and buried my thread ends at the beginning or end of a line of quilting. That can be so tedious and time consuming. I would like to know your views and method for taking tiny stitches at the beginning or end of a line of quilting. Do you take tiny stitches or set your length to zero? How many stitches? I'm always afraid that the stitches will come out after repeated washings. When taking tiny stitches, is it noticeable on the quilt top? Is there a place that is better than others, for example, a seam line? Thanks for any help!

Blog Entries
    Lol. I tend to do both. I too imagine loose ends in the future if I don't bury ends, but I don't trust my little knots to stay in unaided by small stitches either! I don't enjoy that bit and hope for some tips here.
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    I've been taking small (or in place-called a lockstitch) stitches to start/stop machine quilting for years- bring the bobbin thread to the top- hold both threads, take a few tiny in place stitches, then continue on - then when I stop for what ever reason I go ahead and cut those two threads at the quilt surface. the quilting is never the issue if a quilt comes back for any repairs. I've never had the quilting come undone. 3-5 stitches are enough to lock your stitching- then you set your stitch length where you want it & continue on- I also run a line of stitching around the outer edge of my quilt top (if it has blocks/seams along the outer edge-not just a straight border) to keep the seams along the edges from pulling apart. when a seam is crossed it is secure.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I have heard that if you are entering a quilt into a show, you need to knot/bury your threads.

I am personally such a prolific quilter, it would actually help if the stitching came undone in 3-5yrs so I have someone to give another quilt to. I do the locking stitches on anything not destined to go to a quilt show.

On garment sewing, you are taught to back stitch over the beginning and end of every seam you sew. Locking stitches do the same thing with quilts and should behave the same (ie not coming undone)

three stitches in place for me....they do not come undone.

Power Poster
    Knot and bury with my easy thread needle.

If I am doing FMQ, I do both. If SITD, I hand knot and then bury the threads. I rather enjoy burying the threads. Oh, I just figured out why I enjoy burying the threads. I listen to mysteries on my iPad while I sew. It is easier to hear the reader without the sound of the sewing machine.

I'm in the middle of a quilt for a customer with numerous, numerous threads to knot and bury - I wish there was a magic genie that could wave a magic wand or something to get this job done quicker!!!

I have what looks like a tiny crochet needle with aid used to bury threads. Makes it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Knot and bury with my easy thread needle.
    Do you have to KNOT and bury or can you just bury? Would like to know the answer to this.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nannyrick.com View Post
    Do you have to KNOT and bury or can you just bury? Would like to know the answer to this.
    You need to knot. It's not enough to just bury the thread ends.

If I were making a quilt for a show, I would knot and bury the thread ends, but that's the only time I would do it. For me, I found that taking 3 to 5 *tiny* stitches shows less than sewing in place for 3 to 5 stitches (creates a little lump). The stitch length depends on the batting used, but typically it's somewhere around a .5 stitch length on my Bernina. If in a particularly worrisome mood, I will backstitch just one of those stitches, but I seriously doubt that is necessary.

I was just in a BSR class and they taught us to do a tack stitch at the beginning and the end - that way you don't get a know underneath and it doesn't show much. I liked that better than the 3 or 4 small stitches.

Nammie I would like to know more about that tack stitch.
    I used to take small stiches and cut the thread, but now I am quilting other people's work, I tie off and bury.
    I mainly do edge to edge quiilting and hopefully only need to do this when the bobbin runs out.
    But I do get the occasional whoopsey and need to restart.
    I tie off at the time by unpicking top and bottom threads for about two or more inches then starting again at that spot tying all four threads together with a square knot and bury them.
    I find that works for me by using an embroidery needle with an eye big enough to take all four threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    three stitches in place for me....they do not come undone.
    That is what I do too...unless I would be entering a quilt into a show for competition, then I would bury the threads with a needle.

I used to do the tiny stitches method, but I was never really happy with the results. So for the past six months or so, I've been doing the burying method where I pull up the bobbin thread, make a small knot and bury the threads into the batting using a cheater needle and I am soooo much happier with the resulting look. Nice and neat and to me, worth the few extra minutes it takes to knot and bury the threads.