Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Start/end by burying thread or tiny stitches? >

Start/end by burying thread or tiny stitches?

Start/end by burying thread or tiny stitches?

Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 PM

Default Start/end by burying thread or tiny stitches?

I have always knotted and buried my thread ends at the beginning or end of a line of quilting. That can be so tedious and time consuming. I would like to know your views and method for taking tiny stitches at the beginning or end of a line of quilting. Do you take tiny stitches or set your length to zero? How many stitches? I'm always afraid that the stitches will come out after repeated washings. When taking tiny stitches, is it noticeable on the quilt top? Is there a place that is better than others, for example, a seam line? Thanks for any help!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 PM

Lol. I tend to do both. I too imagine loose ends in the future if I don't bury ends, but I don't trust my little knots to stay in unaided by small stitches either! I don't enjoy that bit and hope for some tips here.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

I've been taking small (or in place-called a lockstitch) stitches to start/stop machine quilting for years- bring the bobbin thread to the top- hold both threads, take a few tiny in place stitches, then continue on - then when I stop for what ever reason I go ahead and cut those two threads at the quilt surface. the quilting is never the issue if a quilt comes back for any repairs. I've never had the quilting come undone. 3-5 stitches are enough to lock your stitching- then you set your stitch length where you want it & continue on- I also run a line of stitching around the outer edge of my quilt top (if it has blocks/seams along the outer edge-not just a straight border) to keep the seams along the edges from pulling apart. when a seam is crossed it is secure.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:42 AM

I have heard that if you are entering a quilt into a show, you need to knot/bury your threads.

I am personally such a prolific quilter, it would actually help if the stitching came undone in 3-5yrs so I have someone to give another quilt to. I do the locking stitches on anything not destined to go to a quilt show.

On garment sewing, you are taught to back stitch over the beginning and end of every seam you sew. Locking stitches do the same thing with quilts and should behave the same (ie not coming undone)
Old 05-11-2013, 05:00 AM

three stitches in place for me....they do not come undone.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Knot and bury with my easy thread needle.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:42 AM

If I am doing FMQ, I do both. If SITD, I hand knot and then bury the threads. I rather enjoy burying the threads. Oh, I just figured out why I enjoy burying the threads. I listen to mysteries on my iPad while I sew. It is easier to hear the reader without the sound of the sewing machine.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:35 AM

I'm in the middle of a quilt for a customer with numerous, numerous threads to knot and bury - I wish there was a magic genie that could wave a magic wand or something to get this job done quicker!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:40 AM

I have what looks like a tiny crochet needle with aid used to bury threads. Makes it easier.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Knot and bury with my easy thread needle.
Do you have to KNOT and bury or can you just bury? Would like to know the answer to this.