Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps... >

A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps...

A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps...

Old 08-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

my cupboards are full my freezer is full i eat leftovers dh and i both like them and food is too expensive to waste i have a great stash and i use my scraps and some i give away I feel very blessed to have what i have.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:42 PM

I don't keep scraps ( I send them to my sister who loves them) or a stash. I buy groceries once a week with a list, based on what's in season and on special. My freezer, fridge and cupboards keeps enough food for the week. I don't eat left overs. They go to the dogs, rabbits and chickens.

I am definitely a minimalist in all areas of life. Absolutely no waste but absolutely no clutter.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM

1. I have some stash only because I can't stand to thow away leftover fabric.
2. Quilts are planned and fabric is selected and purchased with a little extra for mistakes.
2. Almost all fabric is purchased on sale or with coupons.
3. Small quilts are made entirely from stash if possible.
4. Meals are planned every two weeks with left overs planned for day two.
5. Coupon shoping is a must. Most times meals are planned with a eye on what's on sale at the grocery store.
6. DH is retired and does most of the grocery shopping and cooking. He is as careful with $$ as I am. He is a great cook and we rarely eat out anymore.
7. I cook on weekends to give him a break. I used to can but quit when I was in school and working full time, but I plan to start again.
Hope this helps :)
Old 08-14-2011, 05:34 PM

That is an interesting question.

I have a stocked pantry, but not as full as my Mom's was. She could eat for 6 months from her pantry. I also have a freezer of meat, we raise our own beef and chickens. Can't beat that. As far as my stash, I used to just buy for a project, but living 40 minute drive from LQS, I have learned to build up my stash from thrift and yard sales. I will still buy, but only for a specific project, and not just because it is on sale. I am not good at scrappy and should just clean that out for others to use.
So, I guess that I accumulate food[on sale] like fabric[on sale] so, I think they do relate.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:54 PM

I am a chef by trade, and a quilter by heart. My pantry is usually well stocked, but I can get creative when I want something quick and easy. If I find a fabric I like, I buy at least 3 yards of it. I save scraps, but I am by no means frugal, in the quilting studio or the kitchen
Old 08-14-2011, 07:52 PM

My pantry is so full that nothing else will fit. My freezer is also pretty full, though I have been trying to use up the stuff in there. Also, I have a huge stash and still keep buying more. Never plan my meals just use whatever is there and I love leftovers (it means I don't have to cook).
Old 08-14-2011, 09:07 PM

depends if it is winter or summer for food. i stock extra in case it snows during the winter. but in the summer everything is fresh so shop for a week at a time.i try and make extra to freeze up so i have something i can just pop in the microwave but that hasn't worked for me yet cause my husband is such a big eater. the more i make the more he eats so now i am learning to make just what we need and if he wants something else he can make a sandwich or snack.
as for fabric i usually shop for what i need as i need it but save all my scraps cause i use them to make thing with like bowls if i need a quick gift idea or whatever or the small peices come in handy for pp. i like scrappy so it works for me. I don't make the traditional quilts that have to be well planned with a certain color schemes. and i get tired of making the same block over and over again. i love other peoples work that do and admire them to be able to. I make mostly wall hanging and quillows. small things now
Old 08-14-2011, 09:56 PM

My husband and I are retired and I guess we could be classed as "survivorists". We keep at least one year of food supplies on hand. We hunt, we fish. We do not throw out left overs. We vacuum seal everything. I fix casseroles in a 13x9" pan, divide it by four and eat one fourth that night and vacuum seal each of the other 3 fourths. Three freezers, two refrigerators, etc....My husband did put his foot down on my idea of burying 50 gallon drums of gasoline in the back yard. We are well stocked with oil lamps and lamp oil and all other necessities. We both believe things are going to get much worse in this world and we are prepared. I have a room of fabric, 13x10, full to the ceiling of fabric and still adding more as I worry about not having the funds to buy fabric and the quilts I make are all for donation to those who really need them. Our friends say we are "hoarders"....I say we are prepared.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:48 AM

I can't afford much fabric, but buy little bits here & there as I can. I save my scraps as I do my food leftovers and all are used regularly. I try not to waste any more than I have to of either.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:19 AM

I save my scraps, have a medium size stash of fabric , save and eat select leftovers, usually have enough food in the pantry or feeezer to fix several meals but love to purchase what I cook on a day to day basis.