Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps... >

A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps...

A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps...

Old 08-14-2011, 08:53 AM

I think i fit into #2, I dont buy unless I need it for something
Old 08-14-2011, 08:58 AM

i used to be a collector and had enough fabric, notions & craft items to open my own store but no longer. i look at my money much different now. i buy the fabrics that i want to use for specific projects. i have never kept scraps but looking at threads on this board, i know that others do so i am keeping them just to give away. i hate accumulating just for the sake of accumulating thinking i will use it some day.

as for food, i always like a stocked pantry and freezer. i use to entertain a lot more than i do now so i always wanted to have food on hand. this habit i have not broken. i have never been a leftover eater and doubt that i ever will. i like my foods freshly prepared at every meal. i don't bring leftovers home from a restaurant meal either. why fool myself... i won't eat them. they will be scootted around in my refrigerator until it's time to throw them away... the same as leftovers.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 AM

We have 2 freezers and 3 fridges (all large); my husband's insulin supply and everything that is not canned or in sealed bottles/jars is refrigerated or frozen to extend it's freshness life and keep bugs out ... we live in the deep south and do regular "Home Defense" maintenance, so don't actually have a bug problem, plus no food out here to tempt them anyway.

Because we have the storage space and because I usually loathe shopping, I buy some things in bulk. I buy fabric on sale, (using coupons whenever possible) often without having any specific project in mind. While tastes do change over time, if I like the fabric a lot when I buy it, I continue to like it and will eventually find a perfect use for it. I don't have or want a big stash. I have one big plastic storage box of scraps of various sizes (kept primarily for applique), but I toss all the really small stuff and anything that is just too ugly to keep.

I'm a picky eater & rarely eat leftovers,; my husband & son eat the leftovers and most of what we throw away is just peels, seeds, & bones. I cook only once in a while, so keep on hand a supply of salad fixin's, fruits, fish, & various 'quick meals' in the freezers so we each can & do fend for ourselves. My days of cooking a big family meal every day are long gone! Now I'm happy to just keep the kitchen and all pots/pans/dishes clean and keep the fridges, freezers & shelves well stocked.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 AM

Oooh, I told a lie ... I do eat leftover macaroni & cheese & leftover bratwurst ... if I can get to it before someone else scarfs it up.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:32 AM

I buy fabric for each quilt, do save the scraps, I buy for two weeks' worth of meals, and eat leftovers. Anything else??
Old 08-14-2011, 09:49 AM

I am kind of facinataed by those who hate leftovers (food) -- it is the same food, and all ready for a new meal with the additon of some one thing to freshen it up.
I about never make casseroles and I am disappointed when we eat the whole meal -- I love to use the leftover meat and veg in a new meal - it is the right brain part of me, I guess, create something tasty -- or pretty -- out of what you have on hand.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 AM

I have a stash - and it's sizable - including bolts of smooshy fabrics to use for backgrounds and/or backing - because when I want to start a new project I want to do it NOW, not have to go shopping specifically for that project. So I have a shelf of neutrals, one of yellows, another of oranges, and on through the color wheel. Of course, if I know I'm going to Lancaster, where the best fabric tends to be more affordable, I will take a favorite pattern or book with me, just in case I see the perfect fabric to inspire!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:29 AM

I think it goes back to being a depression kid (born 1929). I buy bargains, and use them regularly. I like yard sales, and buy what I need. We have a big garden, so I can and freeze. Love auctions and estate sales--I furnished my house this way.. Love to sew, try new recipes, and read. I recycle all I can. I think we are all products of our environment. quiltinbill
Old 08-14-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
I am wondering if those of you who don't keep the scraps from your quilts (normal sized, not teeny tiny pieces), to be used elsewhere, do you do the same in your kitchen? (throw away leftovers).

And for those of you who don't ever buy anything unless you have a use for it (a planned quilt) because you consider it an unnecessary tie-up of money, do you do the same for the food in your pantry? Do you make up a menu and shop for each meal specifically?

I'm trying to see if there is a relationship here in the personality type. As for me, I'm an Amy Daczyczyn (aka Tightwad Gazette) type and work from a pantry and try to buy the "extra" things I need while keeping a stock of basics in my freezer and pantry. And, I use my leftovers. My family eats them, like it or not. Sometimes they get tired of them, and sometimes (often) I create something else out of them (like making quesadillas out of leftover chicken (since I keep tortillas and cheese on hand).

So, this thread is esp. for those of you who don't like either scraps or buying ahead of time. Do your buying habits for fabric compare to food buying habits? I am curious if it is personality type that works "all around" or just specifically for sewing.
Love scraps big enough to use/hate most leftovers. froggyintexas
Old 08-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Seems odd to me when someone says "I hate leftovers." For instance, when I fix a lg. roast in slo cooker, have a meal w/vegs etc., and a couple days later, make bbq. sandwiches with the same meat, I do not consider it "leftovers". It is an entirely diff. meal. Same with poultry - big meal and few days later, chicken salad, or enchiladas. No one at our house considers this leftovers.