Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps... >

A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps...

A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps...

Old 08-14-2011, 06:56 AM

I do eat left overs and stock pantry when I can, for quilts however I buy for specific projects where i can, not just cause, mostly I wait for sales of thing to buy online or at the LQS
Old 08-14-2011, 07:04 AM

I don't have a stash to speak of, maybe 3 or 4 yards of cloth, but do save scraps of fabric hoping to use them someday. I am rather frugal in all things, probably due to growing up in a large family. Did have a stock of vittles but we're working our way through it since we've been out of work. We've experienced hard times before & our grand creator has always sustained us so I know our search for work will come to fruition soon. Funny, no matter how desperate times were I always felt 'rich' with a tank of gas & cupboard of toilet paper!!!! :-P
Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I use to not throw away any food leftovers. I felt guilty if I did. Same with fabric scraps. Growing up with grandparents who lived during the depression made a big impact what I felt guilty about. I finally realized I don't live the depression lifestyle, I don't have to save everything because it's still good. I can squeeze a dime but I got tired of it.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I'm more the type who has a stash, sometimes do and sometimes do not hold on to scraps (depends on mood that day if I feel there is too much clutter) hubby does the food shopping and I'm the only one who eats leftovers (for lunch at work) hubby and 3 boys do not like leftovers. :-P
Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 AM

I'm a lot like you. I've grown to appreciate most leftovers, so we waste very little. Scraps of fruits, vegetables, and breads that won't keep well go to the turkeys and chickens. I keep a very well-stocked pantry and can, freeze, dehydrate, or make into wine, everything I can get my hands on. We raise our own fruits, berries, wine grapes, and turkeys and chickens, too. I save every scrap of fabric from projects, and if I see fabric (even scraps) at yard sales or thrift stores, and they have a great price, I pick them up. I don't have as much time to sew and quilt as I'd like, but there will come a day when I probably will have more time. I'll be ready to go when that day comes! It's also nice to have extra to share with someone who needs it.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 AM

I am a frugal buyer of both. When the kids were at home I bought groceries that were on sale and planned meals around that. Kids are all gone now so I buy fabric when it is on sale and I do have a small stash. It worries me that fabric will get to be pricier than I can afford and so the stash was built forthat reason. I would rather be chosey with both food and fabric and buy quality when it is on sale than to buy non sale items when they aren't on sale. I do save scraps of fabric and when hubby was alive he did like & eat leftovers....but then I was a good cook. Some leftovers I don't mind for they do taste even better after sitting in the frig. Lasagna, macaroni salads, leftover roast beef for sandwiches and the list goes on. I do like to buy items from Costco or Sams that are non perishable so I don't have to buy them so often. Nothing like being a wise consumer and non wasteful.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:14 AM

My parents lived through the Depression. My father's family lost everything on Black Friday (Grandpa was a small town grocer). I learned from them that: if it is on sale, it is something that you will eventually use and it won't spoil, stock up. We eat left overs. After the second meal, I freeze individual servings for anytime. This is the exact opposite of how my husband grew up, but he has adjusted and appreciates that we do not run out of the necessities. As far as quilting, I am still relatively new and my stash is modest, purchased on sale or at a thrift store or yard sale. I am a former used book dealer and books still dominate the house. And, of course, adding quilting books blends right in!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:26 AM

As children of parents that lived through the depression - we always keep something on hand - have a pantry - stock up for winter time - also I live way out in the country and with the price of gas - have to stock up to lessen the trips. I always cook at home -rarely eat out (mainly because we live out so far - no where to go) - at least I know what the kitchen looks like and the cook isn't bad either.
I have a stash of fabric - but I don't throw away scraps unless they are really small.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:40 AM

I do have a big stash, a full pantry and a full freezer. I like to make large quanities of some of the dishes that I cook because I do a lot of freezing. If I'm not in the mood to cook I pull something out of the freezer. Yes, DH and I love leftovers.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 1234Irene
I loath left overs, but hubby will eat them. As for scraps? Yes, I save every bit of them for other possible projects.
Me, too. Hate leftovers but I still keep them. MY husb. used to go through the refrig. & make the best meals out of them but I still didn't like the taste of leftovers. I ate it though since I didn't have to fix it. I have a corn casserole in the refrig. right now that I haven't touched for 3 days. You know where it's going.

Yep, I keep almost every scrap over a few threads now after seeing what so many of you do with them.