Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps... >

A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps...

A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps...

Old 08-14-2011, 04:45 AM

i just buy a piece of fabric most times because i really like the fabric and know i will make something out of it. when i use it, if i have any left, i will save it except for the really little pieces. i usually find a use for most of the fabric. i do have a little put away but i go back and use it when i decide to make something. groceries, i try to buy on sale and buy extra of the things that will keep when there is a good buy.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:59 AM

I keep most scraps and use them various ways (quilts/clothes/stuffings). I've learned to cook w/o making too many over amts (nothing is "leftover", everything is food in my house) unless I'm planning on using something cooked in another dish -
Old 08-14-2011, 05:06 AM

I think you might have something there except I am in the opposite range. I keep a well stocked pantry, stocked freezers and use my leftovers, creatively if necessary. If something is a good buy, I buy more of it. It's the same with fabric. I've always had a stash. When my kids were @ home we used it like a pantry. They helped design what they wanted, we shopped in the fabric closet where there were bolts of fabric and I made them what they wanted. I keep and use scraps. I recently made a quilt for my DGD along with a pillow case, a decorative pillow, and a mug rug out of the "left overs". She shopped my stash for the fabric. I may have enough left to make another mug rug. LOL
Old 08-14-2011, 05:11 AM

I am sure it is personality based. I have a huge stash of fabric and can make an entire quilt without going shopping...most of the time. I live by myself with 2 large dogs. I buy huge bags of dog food and never run out, I can eat for weeks without going to the store for anything but milk and bread. I grew up in a frugal family and was frugal when raising 4 kids. My kids didn't know you could buy a cookie in the grocery store, and I used 10# of flour a week baking bread. And I made all my daughter's clothes and many of the boys clothes. Of course my daughter now is very wasteful and it drives me nuts, she cleans the house before the cleaning lady comes.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:42 AM

I quit buying fabric just because its pretty. It ends up sitting in the closet because it does not necessarily fit with the next project. I prefer to have the fun of shopping for a particular pattern, but I will make scrappy quilts when the stash builds up.

I prefer to buy food as I need it for the week. With a full refrigerator or cabinet, too much gets overlooked and can go to waste.

No sense spending money on things that will not get used.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:57 AM

I am a minimalist...

I buy fabric for specific projects. Scraps are kept in one bin and used quickly in a scrap quilt. Having too much around makes me nervous

I buy enough food to make it through the week. By Saturday, both the fridge and freezer are empty except for condiments and freezer packs.

Two reasons: We are too materialistic nowadays. More is not necessarily better. Second reason. I thought with a master's degree in speech therapy that I would be much more financially secure. Not true. I spend as little as possible and near hyperventilate before I make any purchase. I hate worrying about $$$!!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:02 AM

I don't fit in here. I save every little morsel of food and fabric!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
I am a minimalist...

I buy fabric for specific projects. Scraps are kept in one bin and used quickly in a scrap quilt. Having too much around makes me nervous

I buy enough food to make it through the week. By Saturday, both the fridge and freezer are empty except for condiments and freezer packs.

Two reasons: We are too materialistic nowadays. More is not necessarily better. Second reason. I thought with a master's degree in speech therapy that I would be much more financially secure. Not true. I spend as little as possible and near hyperventilate before I make any purchase. I hate worrying about $$$!!!!
I have been snowed in, iced in and hurricaned in. The longest I was "in" was 16.5 days. If I didn't have extra supplies I would've been in real trouble.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:50 AM

I love alone and do not like to buy large amounts of food sometimes it seems they just do not put thing in small package for people like me do not like to over stock fridge live in small apt and do not have space stores do have some small cans but not much as for quilting try to buy what I can use with prices like they are now am trying to find a frugal way to quilt does any one have any suggestions am Sr. citizen and do not drive so can not go to thrift stores often I shop for food once a week
Old 08-14-2011, 06:54 AM

I just hate going to the store, so I buy lots of everything, and make it last. I "repurpose" leftovers all the time, whether for lunch or dinner.
And I save all scraps.