Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stuff at estate auctions >

stuff at estate auctions

stuff at estate auctions

Old 01-17-2015, 05:34 AM

"One man's trash/another man's treasure"!

A note about double knits--they make wonderful utility quilts. Good for use at nursing homes and such where they get the heavy-duty use and abuse. Very warm and wear forever. Usually color-fast, too. I've made some that I thought were really pretty just using squares of color and backed with flannel. These don't really need to have batting as they are quite warm.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:12 AM

thanks for the good laugh this morning.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:02 AM

Oh My! That does make me shudder with disgust! Still, there are so many that simply do not realize the treasures in fabric and "handmade". I find that most of this generation and their friends simply use something till it's used up and then toss, get another and go on. Very few treasure the "old" anymore. Sad to me as I have carefully preserved some very old quilts that my ancestors made. Now I'm afraid no one is going to want them when I die....I think this realization hurts me more than anything. I also had earlier had some old pieces of furniture refinished (they were at least 100 yrs. old). Now, nobody wants them so when I go, I suppose they will be donated to Goodwill....sigh.......just the way it is....
Old 01-17-2015, 08:34 AM

Well those of us (or our counterparts) on here will be the ones rescuing your stuff from Goodwill!
Old 01-17-2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Laurajbr View Post
Sadly, not just men. My wife, Lord love her, used my hoard of muslin as a drop cloth while painting my sewing room. I come home, there she is, so pleased she did this for me, standing on two yards of 109 w fabric.
Oh my, are you speaking to her yet?
Old 01-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

There are still many, many people out there who do not appreciate what fabric is to quilters, although if it was polyester, it's not as important. I'm sure he will not make that mistake again.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:14 AM

My sister has trained my BIL and his son to call us if they find fabric at auctions. Most of the time, it's ok quality fabric, but sometimes its turned out to be quilt shop fabric. However, if no body is interested in clean bolts of fabric, they get it for a buck or two. What we aren't using will go into my garage sale this Spring to give someone else a great deal.

Thanks for mentioning the double knit for quilts. Yes it is warm. My grandmother made a top of double knit with scraps left from clothing making and it is very warm. I'll have to find a local church group who needs fabric for such quilts. Until we're done with this remodeling, I'm just focusing on quilts for me and family members.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:46 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Yep my hubs used to use my scraps until I got wise ..LOL and now he has old cut up tshirts, towels etc..
Old 01-17-2015, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I have a brother who calls my quilting items "STUFF". He claims it should all be thrown away.
O.M.G.
Dare I ask if you've ever made a quilt for him?
I made my brother a Triple Irish Chain quilt, using Pittsburgh Steelers fabrics. In addition, I embroidered the Steelers logo in some of the center blocks. He truly treasures that quilt, was absolutely flabbergasted when I gave it to him at Christmas several years ago. He shows it off to his pals, who immediately ask if I will make one for them in their team colors. He always says, "Nah!! She doesn't love you that much!!"
He's right, you know.