Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stupid math question >

stupid math question

stupid math question

Old 04-16-2014, 03:55 AM

Why is math mixed up with something as enjoyable as quilting
Old 04-16-2014, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
My quilt top is 55 x 62. I'm just gonna start sewing blocks together for the back and see what I end up with! I've got 12 inch squares, 6 1/2 inch squares, random rectangles, etc. I'm trying to use up fabric. Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to make the back bigger.

Ths is pretty much how I do it.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 AM

Carrie in PA - my son would LOVE your avatar! Teenagers and My Little Pony - I just don't get it, but there are a lot worse things for them to talk about!

When I got ready to read the responses to this post this morning, I was thinking that there were quite a few responses and wondering if most of the responses are from math geniuses or from people that are hoping for help figuring something out, like me. Regardless, I'm thankful for all the responses, and glad to know that I'm not the only one that doesn't understand why I have to do math if all I want to do is quilt!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:24 AM

When I first started quilting, I kept the math aspect of it at arm's length, but over time realized that the math for quilting is nothing harder than what we learned in grade school--definitely nothing to fear. The more you work with it, the easier it gets.

To figure out the size of your quilt back, measure your quilt top: 55" x 62"
Add 3" to the right side and 3" to the left side: 55" + 6" = 61"
Add 3" to the top and 3" to the bottom: 62" + 6" = 68"

61" x 68" is the size you need your quilt back to be.

To know how many 11.5" squares you need horizontally, divide 61" by 11.5" to get 5.3. Round down to 5.
To know how many 11.5" squares you need horizontally, divide 68" by 11.5" to get 5.9. Round up to 6.

5 squares in one direction multiplied by 6 squares in the other direction equals 30 squares--done!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 AM

If you draw out the blocks on 1/4" graphing paper, you can plan a pleasing layout for the blocks. use 1 block per inch and just show the finished size on the paper. Remember to add 1/4th inch on every side for seam allowance. (You probably won't believe me but truly the more often you use the math, the easier it will get)
Joyce in Delaware
Old 04-17-2014, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by JoyceHoopes View Post
If you draw out the blocks on 1/4" graphing paper, you can plan a pleasing layout for the blocks. use 1 block per inch and just show the finished size on the paper. Remember to add 1/4th inch on every side for seam allowance. (You probably won't believe me but truly the more often you use the math, the easier it will get)
Joyce in Delaware
You're so right Joyce, it does get easier but for some reason i always manage to forget one seem allowance somewhere.

Math is funny to me. I stink at it yet my older daughter is a whiz, she's taking all of the math classes in high school that i never made it to. My younger daughter unfortunately has my math genes and the way they do math now is nothing like what i was taught at her age. In fact, my older daughter wasn't taught the same way. Nothing is the same as when i went to school, they don't even teach handwriting or cursive anymore. Chicken scratch is apparently acceptable since everyone types now.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Carrie in PA View Post
You're so right Joyce, it does get easier but for some reason i always manage to forget one seem allowance somewhere.

Math is funny to me. I stink at it yet my older daughter is a whiz, she's taking all of the math classes in high school that i never made it to. My younger daughter unfortunately has my math genes and the way they do math now is nothing like what i was taught at her age. In fact, my older daughter wasn't taught the same way. Nothing is the same as when i went to school, they don't even teach handwriting or cursive anymore. Chicken scratch is apparently acceptable since everyone types now.

..and what will be worse, this untaught generation is unable to read cursive....although I think most are unable to read period! I was taught Palmer method of penmanship...now that dates me, but I am proud of my cursive writing and thank heaven for the patient nuns who taught us!
Old 04-18-2014, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
..and what will be worse, this untaught generation is unable to read cursive....although I think most are unable to read period! I was taught Palmer method of penmanship...now that dates me, but I am proud of my cursive writing and thank heaven for the patient nuns who taught us!
I believe that was the same way i was taught and i know it's how my mother was taught. I suppose it had everything to do with location and the school systems. When i was about 10 or 11 we moved from a large area to a rather rural area and some things aren't as important to some people i suppose. I love it here but unfortunately we are cut off from many things because of education and distance.

In the mean time, i teach my kids all i can about all the "old fashioned" arts that are slipping away. Cooking, canning, sewing, baking, etc. My youngest one is amazed at how i can make sausage gravy for biscuits faster from scratch than i can from a mix. It's an instant world!

Wow, way off topic. I will be quiet now lol
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 AM

Yes and now we don't ''type' we keyboard.