Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stupid question about labels... >

Stupid question about labels...

Stupid question about labels...

Old 12-30-2015, 07:56 AM

Default Stupid question about labels...

When do you usually attach the label to a quilt? Before or after quilting?

I want to make a quilt for a baby who will be born in spring. I'd like to put a label with his name and the birth date, but now it's too soon to know it. I think I can complete the quilt before, but in this case I would have to sew the label by hand, is this correct?

In other situations, do you sew the label on the backing and quilt over it? Or there's a way to attach the label by machine after quilting without showing the stitches from the front?

Sorry for the stupid question...
Old 12-30-2015, 08:00 AM

There is no such thing as a stupid question. I would wait to attach the label until after the baby is born and then hand stitch it on the back. If I am just making a quilt for fun, I will machine stitch the label on in the corner in the seam allowance for the binding and hand stitch it on the other 2 sides after the quilt is quilted. Then, I fold the binding over the machine stitched sides and hand stitch the binding down to cover the raw edges. Personally, I don't machine sew the label to the backing....in case I want to use the quilt for a gift later on.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

I put mine on after. sometimes, I send a quilt out to be quilted and do it after also.
I stitch mine down by hand. Just pick up a small thread to attache it. there is no reason to sew thru the front.
just go thru the batting or the backing.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:27 AM

If I am just making a quilt for fun, I will machine stitch the label on in the corner in the seam allowance for the binding and hand stitch it on the other 2 sides after the quilt is quilted. Then, I fold the binding over the machine stitched sides and hand stitch the binding down to cover the raw edges
I would never have thought of this in a million years! So clever... thank you very much!

Just pick up a small thread to attache it. there is no reason to sew thru the front.
Thanks, I just tried to avoid hand sewing (I'm not good at this).

Another question: Is there a standard size, specific placement or any other rules for labeling?
Old 12-30-2015, 09:13 AM

I like to hand write my information onto a square the same as the fabric back. The "label" is backed with fusible. No specific size, just big enough to take all the information. I press it on after quilting and quickly whip stitch around the edges. I always place my label at the bottom, I feel that if it is at the top, it's in the way, whether a lap quilt or bed quilt.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:13 AM

I add my label after I am done. Sometimes I use a clear/invisible thread so that it doesn't ruin the front of the quilt. There is no standard size for a label or placement. It is up to you. I have pre-printed labels, embroidered labels, labels that I can iron on fabric and then color. Don't worry about the label until the quilt is done.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:01 AM

Thank you everyone for the tips. The fusible web is a very good idea
Old 12-30-2015, 10:03 AM

I sew my labels on while I hand stitch the binding to the back side. I make my labels in a triangle shape so only one side to hand sew down as the other 2 sides get stitched down with the binding. If you hand sew your binding to the back also you might sew all but that one corner so all you have to do it add the label and stitch it down quickly. Just a thought.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

I usually add a label and it is the last thing I attach to the lower right side of the back of a quilt.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:45 AM

My labels are put on as the last step in the process. Sometimes I don't know what I want to say on the label until the quilt is ready to give away. Mine are sewn on by hand, but I have heard some people say that they let the machine quilting go right through the label, having the stitching land where it may -- the point is that it makes the label more difficult to remove without leaving a noticeable absence in case the quilt gets into the wrong hands.

I think the standard place to put a label is on the lower right hand corner back side. That is, when the quilt is facing you as it would be on a bed or wall, then when you lift up the lower right corner, you will find the label.

Having said that, I place them wherever I need to near the bottom. Sometimes my positioning is for design purposes, and other times it is to cover up a blemish of some kind. Ha!