Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Subscriptions >

Subscriptions

Subscriptions

Old 08-05-2015, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
I end up being disappointed with most magazines - so will not continue any subscriptions. I'll see a few patterns in a magazine that I like, and go ahead and subscribe, only to find absolutely nothing in subsequent issues.
That is my feelings too! I broke down and subscribed to two magazines that I kept buying and haven't found anything in them since that I want to make. Maybe, when the subscription is up, there will be some good patterns again!! lol
Old 08-05-2015, 07:12 AM

Im down to two.
Block and Fons and Porter.
I have a whole bookcase full of subscription mags that collected over the years.
No more room for more and its impossible to look for patterns thru so many mags.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:15 AM

I really quit all my subscriptions. have so many stored. But then, i had to back order a bunch of one , because i saw a BOM quilt, that i wanted to do. ? quilters newsletter? did they have that yellow and tan/bown/ gray quilt? i have yet to do.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:21 AM

I have let all mine expire, however I always like mccalls. I go to a used book store and buy about 10-15 before taking a long road trip. gives me reading material on the road. Other than that I just pick one up in the store if it has something in it that looks interesting. I can't possibly make all the quilts I have found and saved, so I really don't need any more patterns.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I have discontinued (about a year ago) all magazines that come through the mail. So many free patterns and links and I can download. I have even gone digital on mags relating to work and couple organizations we belong to. My office is looking less cluttered.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:22 AM

American Quilter, MSQC, Machine Quilting Unlimited, and Quilter's Newsletter. I pick up individual issues of ones that interest me as well.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:28 AM

Being a machine quilter, I enjoy "On Track". My other "favorite" at this time is "Modern Quilts"
Old 08-05-2015, 11:08 AM
Banned

I LOVE Quilters World, McCall's Quick Quilts, and a couple
others (can't think of them at the moment).
Old 08-05-2015, 02:07 PM

A friend who was moving game a big box of her old quilt magazines, a wide variety of titles. Of all of them, I enjoyed American Patchwork the most, for the reasons Bree 123 mentioned. Boy, I turned down many pages in those mags, and am ready to scan those pages into my computer. My second favorite is Fons and Porter.

Magazines are about 75% advertising, and I'm just too cheap to pay for all those advertising. But I sure did enjoy going through them. And I shared them with the quilters and sewers in our community. Now that there's so many free patterns available in the web, I think magazines will gradually fade away.

Another idea, check out your local library. They may subscribe to several and you could get a feel for which ones you like.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

I think the future of quilt magazines will be along the lines of Block. A video for every pattern listed. Oh how I would have loved to have a video of the patterns when I started quilting.