Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Success with Crayola washable markers :) >

Success with Crayola washable markers :)

Success with Crayola washable markers :)

Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 AM

My fabric was a soft 100% cotton sateen.After hearing how some people haven't had luck with these, I am very fortunate I didn't ruin a quilt top.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:50 AM

My fabric was 100% cotton from the LQS. I didn't test each individual color which could have been one of my mistakes. I tried one color and stupid me I didn't test each shade of yellow I used. The first color came out but when I switched to another color in the same package it didn't come out.

If it works for you that is great. I'm just not willing to take that chance again.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 PM

I tried a white piece of fabric today with washable markers, and guess what....it washes away completely!! I am SOOOOO happy!! I hate chalk and pencil markers...they just don't work. I can't wait to use the markers on the little quilt I am working on. I'll show the result tomorrow!!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Power Poster

I love the chalk pencils. The chalk stays on like a regular pencil mark. The brand I like is General. Not expensive and they sharpen like a pencil and don't break.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 AM

I have had some of the marking pencisl stay for a while and when washed out with a wet cloth, return after the fab. dries, supposedly wash away markers for sewing and quilting. I am afraid of using crayola markers or any type like that , after teaching first grade for years, and seeing these get on children's and my clothes. Too often the washable markers were really permanent markers I use a lot of yellow school chalk to mark on quilts, isn't sharp for fine lines but will dust off and does wash out.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:59 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-49019-5.htm

page down on this link.

Here is a picture of a little of the "success" I have had with Crayola washable markers. I am now completely redoing this quilt.

Needless to say I will NEVER again use them.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:07 PM

I have used Crayola Washable markers - the purple, brown, red and green and they have washed out completely. I'm trying to remember if I have used them on white or very pastel fabric. I don't think so. But I loved how they worked when I did use them.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:25 PM

I just have not had a lot of success with any kind of marker for quilting, except for using tissue paper pinned on top, and then there is all that picking out. I wish someone would invent a really good truly washable marker for quilting. They'd make a million bucks!! :-) I am going to go ahead with the Crayola washables, and I will report on result. I have my stain stick handy just in case. :thumbup:
Old 08-28-2010, 03:39 AM

Too scary an idea for me!!!! If I'm doing lines, I use masking tape and sew right next to each piece, on either side. It comes in 1", 2" and other widths and I know the tape is coming right off with no problem....
Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 AM

i know others have suggested it to use with templates for quilting.. i have them, they are sort of sharp pointed on one end..for the templates, but have yet to use them!
thanks for the review!!!