Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Washable crayola markers

Smile Washable crayola markers

Washable crayola markers/Are they safe to use for marking fabric??? I am afraid of the sewing notions markers that say they may discolor red and pinks. I have to trace a circle template on 45 scrappy pinwheel blocks. I don't want to use the markers that disappear in 24 hrs. since I won't sew them all at once. Thanks for your opinions. copycat
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-21-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: change title to reflect contents

Blog Entries
    I have never used them. But have read that some people have trouble with them reappearing. I stick to using soap and charcoal pencils.
    Brenda

thanks for your reply Brenda. Good to know

I took a class from a lady who claimed that those crayons were safe, but before using I would test them on the fabrics you will be using. Also plain graphite pencils are supposed to come out safely when the quilt is washed, and they can make a finer line.

I've used the crayola washable markers many times and have never had a problem. I prefer them to anything else. They wash out completely. Never had the marks come back.
    Save the Earth!

Itís the only planet with Chocolate.

Blog Entries
    I've also used the crayola washable markers without issue. I always do test first though. I'm careful not to press the fabric after it's marked and when I'm finished quilting, I soak the whole thing in cool water. So far, the marks have just washed away! I like them because they make a nice visible line on almost anything but black; I just choose a color with good contrast on whatever fabric I'm using.
    Wendy

I use a pen that is heat sensitive and erases when you put it in the dryer or use a hair dryer on it. It is made by Pilot and called Frixion. I picked it up at a local quilt show, but I bet you could find one at some place like Office Max or Staples. They come in several colors, too!
    Last edited by Dawnwrey; 04-21-2012 at 07:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    I've used Crayola wahsable markers several times and haven't had any problems with them at all. Interestingly enough, I found that the red marker actually showed up really well on black fabric and removed completely when I washed it.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Blog Entries
    I know some of the colors of Crayon Washable markers did not wash out of DGD's tees. That was a few years ago so maybe they have improved.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    regardless of what you choose to use you need to test to make sure it will come out- some people have had luck with washable markers- others have had a problem= i always use a pencil- some people have had problems getting pencil out-
    always test-then decide if this is right for this project-
    what works on one project may not work so well on the next- it's important to test everytime
    different fabrics seem to have different results- at different times.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I saw Frixion pens at lqs but haven't tried them.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

All I can tell you is, don't use the orange chalk marker that comes in the variety pack for Clover chalk holder pen. Ask me how I know.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Blog Entries
    I have been using
    Frixion pens a lot. So far no problems at all. I like them much better then the air or water pens. I had a faint white line appear on some dark fabric when the color was ironed away but it went away when I washed the quilt and hasn't returned. The Frixion pens are archival and non toxic from what I find online about them.
    Got fabric?

Do you iron away the marks of frixion pens? or is it safer to blow dry the marks away? Are these pens expensive? I will give them a try.
    Our quilt guild is doing a fabric swap using scrappy half square triangles. I made pinwheel blocks and each section of the pinwheel is a different fabric. I will trace a circle template over the scrappy pinwheel block to cut out a circle. The challenge is to find a marking pen that works on 8 different fabrics. ha!

I use the sewline pencils and have never had a problem. Different colored lead for different fabrics values.
    Linda

From experience I go the cheapest and easiest, charcoal pencil. Press lightly is all you need and it comes out clean in the wash. No troubles so far! Good Luck whichever way you choose.
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

Blog Entries
    I iron the frixon marks off. I wash the item and all the pen residue comes out. If you don't wash, the marks will reappear if below 32 degrees.
    Got fabric?

I use them for making diapers all the time without issue

I use the washable markers at times when my chalks and washable marking pen aren't doing the job. I'm careful to choose a close color to whatever I'm marking, not significantly darker. I haven't had any problems so far.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

Blog Entries
    I use them all the time, the only thing I don't like is if you try to just spray out the marking it makes a mess but when you wash it all the markings come completely out.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

I agree they need to be washed out- not just sprayed away.

IF you are worried about the markers sold for the purpose of marking fabrics discoloring, just test on a scrap of fabric and rinse to see if all the color washes our. I use the blue and red violet one all the time on everyting, and I like the fine tip they have.
    pat design

I have used the Pilot Frixion pens to mark on my fabric and when I pressed it the color disappeared and has not come back. The only colors I have found are black, blue and red...I like them

The Frixion pens work great, disappear with ironing, but don't last very long. Also, even though the color disappears with ironing (or heat) the gel is still there and will be until it is washed out. Haven't tried the Crayola markers yet but they're on my shopping list.
    OCD in the OC

mine too but usually use chalk pencils

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast