Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
suggestions needed to finish up quilt >

suggestions needed to finish up quilt

suggestions needed to finish up quilt

Old 10-29-2016, 06:57 AM

I agree w/ what nearly everyone has already said, the snowmen fabric takes away from the beautiful embroidery. I would put a narrow frame (solid color) as has been described, change the sashing to a WOW fabric. If your heart is set on cornerstones I would do a solid of what ever color the frame is, or fussy cut a simple complimentary print (like a snow flake). Then I would take the current sashing and either use it as the binding or piece it together in some logical way and use it for part of the backing.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:29 AM

I personally like the snowman fabric - I think it's adorable! It doesn't take away from the embroidery for me. I do like Bree's idea of adding a red flange. I wouldn't cut the snowman sashing in half, though, because then you won't have any whole snowmen left.

If think children evaluate quilts on their parts, rather than overall aesthetics. The snowman fabric is another element for a kid to be attracted to, if the embroidery isn't their thing. I would keep it simple - trim down the blocks, red flange, snowman sashing, bind in black, and be done!
Old 10-29-2016, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
Just my opinion--I think the sashing is too busy. I think it takes too much attention away from the delightful embroidered blocks. Others may think differently and that is okay. I am anxious to see other opinions. I love the embroidered blocks.
I agree with Genden, the sashing is too busy.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:03 AM

I agree with most of the others. The snowman embroidery is adorable. I think a solid sashing is the way to go the snowman pattern is just too busy. I would use it the the binding, maybe, but nothing else. The quilt is beautiful and has a lot of work put into it already. Glad you are "saving" it and know you will make sure it goes to a "good" home.
Sue
Old 10-29-2016, 12:03 PM

I agree with Hill Country Gal. I'd use a solid sashing around the embroidery squares and then piece the snowman fabric to use for a border.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
If it were mine to finish...
I'd use a solid color fabric or one that "reads" solid to go around the blocks.
Then, I'd piece the print and use it as a border.
This is what I would do, or I would possibly add another border after the snowmen border as I tend to like two borders - like a mat with a frame.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:55 PM

I also agree with Hill Country. A solid border will allow the embroidered blocks to show up better.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:16 PM

I agree totaly with hiicountrygirl.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:21 PM

I'm with Jennifer on many points. If this one is going to a child, keep the snowman fabric and don't cut it in half. Kids want to see whole things (animals, people, snowmen, etc) and are often disturbed by seeing things cut off. Granted , the print is busy, but kids like busy.

My thought is to sash with red about an inch finished around each . The frame will draw the eye in to the embroidered pictures (red always draws attention).

You're a patient dear for undoing all those tiny stitches and giving this quilt a new and improved design.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:03 PM

I like the snowmen fabric. When I look at the blocks, the embroidered snowmen in them look like they are looking at the fabric and laughing. It's very cheery. I would just add some borders, especially a red one and just finish the quilt. Any child will love it.