Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Optimal spacing for bag handles >

Optimal spacing for bag handles

Optimal spacing for bag handles

Old 11-01-2016, 12:08 PM

Default Optimal spacing for bag handles

Is there a chart or formula that gives the optimal spacing for bag handles based on the size of the bag? I looked on the web but didn't find one.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I don't think there is a standard for this. I usually find the center and measure 2.5 to 3" on either side and mark. Then I center the handles on the marks, so there is about 4 or 5 inches between, maybe a bit wider if adding shoulder straps. I usually make tote-type bags. It really depends on the bag construction and materials. If the bag is open at the top (like a tote) you don't want it to gap or bunch between the handles. A heavier fabric and/or a sturdy interfacing will allow the handles to be placed further apart. Fasteners, like a snap, will also allow wider placement. When I'm not following a pattern, I will often construct the bag as far as possible, then pin the handles on to see how the bag hangs.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:37 PM

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:52 PM

I think that Paper Princess has covered the process well, especially the part about constructing it as far as possible before attaching the straps permanently. A friend of mine made a bag exactly according to directions and found that it hung forward once finished, even when it had several items in it. Design flaw not apparent until after she finished the bag.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:47 PM

I agree w/Paperprincess generally. I think much has to do with the bag's 'purpose' as well as size. Smaller bag; smaller opening?? But then again, if one is going to toss the bag over their shoulder - even if a smaller size; not 'shoulder' bag - it might need a wider opening?? IDK.

I'm not a bag/purse person myself. Essentially, if it doesn't fit in my shorts/jeans pocket - I don't carry it!
Old 11-02-2016, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

i agree with Paper Princess and her method of spacing. I make lots of totes and tote bags and her suggestions for spacing would work on most any bag or tote.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:50 AM

I agree with Paper Princess also. I have made many totes and purses and do just that.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:51 AM

Thanks to all. I will use that method too.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:08 AM

If you are going to make a variety of bags and totes, visit a store (Target, Penney, etc) and try out different types of bags. Find a tote that you find very comfortable and measure the distance and the length of the straps. Do the same thing with a 'regular' handbag. Then you have a starting point. If you are short and you want to make a shoulder bag for a tall friend, add a couple inches to the length. I am 5'8" and when I make a messenger bag for a man, I add three inches and an adjustable clip so they could shorten it if they desired. I have found this has always worked.