Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Suggestions Needed

I need some suggestions for hanging these small photo quilts I am making for my aunts. I really didn't want to use the sleeve on the back. The finished size will be around 20" x 18", very lightweight. Thanks,

Mary

Home centers have a wood made of a kind of plastic. cheaper than the real thing and easy to work with. You could frame each one.

There are quilt stores which carry wooden clip-type devices that have a marble or round bb inside. You slip your quilt in and it holds it for you. They have a hole in the back to attach to the wall.

Blog Entries
    Last year I wrote:
    I have embroidered 8" (plus 1/2" seam allowances) squares for a baby quilt and I want to use those as my "big blocks" in a simple Irish chain pattern. I know the other small blocks can be cut using the strip method and a rotary cutter, but just how wide should those strips be?

Someone please help me!

Sue responded:
    Well, if I were you...I would add a border around those embroidered blocks to make them 9-1/2" total (so they finish at 9" when they are sewn together). Then, as I like the single Irish chain (good ol' 9 patches!), I would cut my strips at 3-1/2". then both blocks would be at 9-1/2" & ready to sew together!

Me again:
    Life has been like a roller coaster and left me with no time to quilt for some time. Now I have time to wrok and ask another question: what color should I make the border for the 8"white block. Should it be white or should I use one of the other two colors from the smaller blocks? Someone may have already answered me earlier, but I lost the message if you did.

GramMER :roll: :? :?

Suz
    Check the craft section of your local store and see if they have one of those small clothing hangers for doll clothing (or even a descent one on hand). And then find the bitty clothespins (you could even paint them). Even though your wall hanging is a bit larger, I think you will be able to give it enough support and it will hang properly. This may be your solution.

Suzanne

I would use a shade or 2 of the other colors so that everything sort of stands out. But then, I love colors.