Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for New Machine >

Suggestions for New Machine

Suggestions for New Machine

Old 02-03-2016, 06:14 PM

Default Suggestions for New Machine

My Brother CS6000i is on its last leg. It has been a workhorse for the past few years but its time to upgrade. I need a machine that I can do accurate piecing on as well as FMQ. Price range under $1000. Any suggestions as to which machine and why?
Old 02-03-2016, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

My suggestion would be a Juki 1020Q. Here it is on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/TL-2010Q-Locks...dp/B00AAZU1KE/

It would not have the decorative stitches of your Brother, but it is a great machine for straight stitching and FMQ.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:45 PM

I love my Pfaff if that helps. The IDT or duel feed is amazing not to mention it stitches beautifully and the embroidery is perfect.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:09 AM

I would look for a machine with upper and lower feed dogs like a Pfaff, Babylock or Janome. You could probably find used Janome MC machine with a large throat,which is awesome for FMQ'ing, like the Janome 7700. Have fun shopping, test drive everything, and don't rush your decision.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...y-t274053.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t272419.html

Here are some recent threads to get you started. A new sewing machine is like a new car. One size does not fit all. Agree to test drive everything and don't rush.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:37 AM

Make lists! List all your "must-haves". And then list all your "really wants". Make sure you know what you want - you want to get the right machine and also make yourself a bit resistant to any salesperson who might try to talk you into a machine you don't actually want or need.

Test drive several machines, from several different manufacturers. Buying a new machine is a lot like buying a new car but it's ALSO a lot like buying some new shoes - what's comfortable for me might be terribly uncomfortable for you!

For example, I like Janome - their machines are high quality and when I use them they feel extremely intuitive and "natural" to me - they do what I expect they will do and I've yet to sit down in front of a Janome and feel intimidated or confused by it. Bernina is another brand that has an excellent reputation, but their machines feel "foreign" to me and do things I don't expect, so I don't like using them - I feel confused and clumsy. So, I bought a Janome and I've been extremely happy with it. I could probably get used to a Bernina and end up happy with it too, but to me it seems more sensible to buy the machine that I immediately felt comfortable with.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:58 AM

I suggest you look at the Singer S18. I just got one on sale....it looks and sews just like a Janome 6500, but is less expensive. It has a 9 inch throat and is a humdinger.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Make lists! List all your "must-haves". And then list all your "really wants". Make sure you know what you want - you want to get the right machine and also make yourself a bit resistant to any salesperson who might try to talk you into a machine you don't actually want or need.
I agree. I have spoken for over two years now stating that buying a new DSM is just like buying a car. You got to get out and test drive a lot of them to see what works for you and your budget. I am STILL quilting on my Bernina 1530 and it still is what I like to quilt on even with a smaller throat and no auto thread cutter. You may also wish to go to a quilt show because that is where I found the best deals on new machines. Have FUN!
Old 02-04-2016, 05:38 PM

Another vote for you to take a look at the Singer S18. It is identical to the Janome 6500P, for less money and sews like a dream. Only thing I can find wrong with it so far is that I've had to buy a little accessory light because the light isn't bright enough, but maybe that's just me.
As everyone says, test drive a bunch of machines at a dealer. Take a quilt sandwich with you and give them all a good try before you decide. And don't be intimidated. At one dealer, the guy stood over my shoulder the whole time I was trying the machine. At another dealer, the man left me to it and went into the back room, telling me to call if I needed anything. You can guess which dealer I ended up buying from!

Watson
Old 02-04-2016, 06:22 PM

when I went to buy a sewing machine, I looked at the Juki 2010Q. That machine sews beautiful. I had a Janome that had decorative stitches on it. I ended up buying the Janome 8900. I had the money at the time to afford it. Remember that 98% of sewing is straight stitch. There is a huge different in price between these machine. I liked the free motion better on the Juki. Juki is about $950.00