Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which new machine to buy. >

which new machine to buy.

which new machine to buy.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:49 AM

Default which new machine to buy.

Other than a cheap 200 dollar brother machine I have never bought a new one. Had a few passed to me including a really nice 1980's era bernina that I inherited from my grandmother. It was having some issues so I brought it in to be serviced only to find out that it won't last long and the gears are really worn out. I was advised not to put a lot of money into it when it finally goes and to move on. Looking into a new one already. What should I get?
Old 01-03-2016, 12:05 PM

A lot depends on your budget, so you'd be best to decide on that first. In the meantime, make a list of features you must have and those you'd like as a starting point.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
A lot depends on your budget, so you'd be best to decide on that first. In the meantime, make a list of features you must have and those you'd like as a starting point.
Money isn't an issue. I both machine quilt and make some of my own clothes. Sewing room is tiny, so limited space is an issue if that matters.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Since space is an issue in your sewing room, I would consider perhaps a Janome 8900 which has a big enough harp to make machine quilting easier but also has an assortment of decorative stitches. Unlike some other Janome models, it has a free arm that makes it useful for garment sewing as well as quilting.

A lot of people really like the Brother DreamWeaver machine, although I think there is an even newer model out with more features. This is another all-singing all-dancing machine.

Edit: Limited space is definitely an issue. If you had more space, I might recommend a combination of several machines, each engineered to deliver the highest quality specialty applications. For example, I might recommend a Juki 2010 for piecing, a Sweet Sixteen for machine quilting, a Brother PE770 for emboirdery, and yet another machine for decorative stitches. And perhaps a high-end serger for both garment sewing and decorative stitching on quilts.

Last edited by Prism99; 01-03-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

I would go to a local quilt show where many dealers will have numerous machines set up for you to give a trip around the blcoks. You need to test drive them to see what suits you and your budget. I bought my Bernina 1530 over 15 years ago and have never regretted that purchase.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Since space is an issue in your sewing room, I would consider perhaps a Janome 8900 which has a big enough harp to make machine quilting easier but also has an assortment of decorative stitches. Unlike some other Janome models, it has a free arm that makes it useful for garment sewing as well as quilting.

A lot of people really like the Brother DreamWeaver machine, although I think there is an even newer model out with more features. This is another all-singing all-dancing machine.

Edit: Limited space is definitely an issue. If you had more space, I might recommend a combination of several machines, each engineered to deliver the highest quality specialty applications. For example, I might recommend a Juki 2010 for piecing, a Sweet Sixteen for machine quilting, a Brother PE770 for emboirdery, and yet another machine for decorative stitches. And perhaps a high-end serger for both garment sewing and decorative stitching on quilts.
I really wish I could have that kind of set up. I don't do embroidery and I've never owned a serger. I guess I want to know first, what has the very best plain old straight stitch. I like the Bernina I inherited. I know the new ones have a stitch regulator. If I'm not going to buy a serger and want something with a stitch regulator, what is the best choice? I know for garments it just takes longer then to sew seam, trim and then finish, but I'm assuming that a serger isn't for machine quilting. I don't have to have something that sews every single decorative stitch. I don't use most of the ones I have now.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

I think ManiacQuilter2 is right. even if not at a quilt show. It's like a car, everyone has preferences and some of them feel more right than others. Something on paper might appeal, but touching it and using it might be a different story. A lot of people like vintage machines. there is something to be said for them, but, in my neck of the woods they are not easy to come by and not all that cheap. I have a bunch of them and like them, but, I also love my dinky mechanical Brother which is my "go to" machine. Let us know what you decide on.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:30 PM

The reason the older Berninas have such a great stitch is because of the oscillating hook system. When you get up to the 7 and 8 Series machines, they have a whole new hook system. The Bernina 570 has the oscillating hook and comes with the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator). That's the machine I would get if I could afford it.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:36 PM

If you love your older Bernina, buy a new one. Quiltedsunshine has good suggestions. BTW, having a stitch regulator is similar to having training wheels on a bike. It is good to get started, but you will probably outgrow it soon. I have not used the BSR I got for my 440 for years. (Anyone want to buy a BSR?)

Pam
Old 01-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Banned

My BFF just bought a Brother Innovis NQ1300 and loves it. I have to admit I really like it too except for the really wide feed dogs. That's the one thing that keeps me from buying a new sewing machine. I just have no use for such a wide zig zag.

Cari