Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Decided to buy new sewing machine, which one? >

Decided to buy new sewing machine, which one?

Decided to buy new sewing machine, which one?

Old 09-21-2013, 11:33 AM

Default Decided to buy new sewing machine, which one?

I would love to get a Bernina with the BSR, the new ones are a lot of $$$. What about the older ones? Which ones is the best for quilting?
Old 09-21-2013, 01:28 PM

I have no owner experience with Bernina, but maybe you can find a used one from an owner or dealer (from someone's trade-up). You can usually get good deals on floor demo models from most dealers, too. As for your question about which one is best for quilting, if you are speaking of free motion quilting, I'd have to say go with the largest throat space you can get.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
I would love to get a Bernina with the BSR, the new ones are a lot of $$$. What about the older ones? Which ones is the best for quilting?
I can tell you from experience that all the Berninas are great machines! I've used my model 930 from 1985 to do lots of straight line quilting -- just slip on the walking foot and I'm off to the races. The model 830 Record was great for quilting too and they are easier to find because there were more of them made than the 930. Both of them are mechanical models (not computerized) but they contain cams which give you a wide variety of stitches. Although I have never done any FMQ with them (I have a wooonderful Singer 15 for that), you can drop the feed dogs on both of them to do FMQ. With their vertical bobbins it should be easy ... after a fair amount of practice. As with anything else in life, practice makes perfect!

My preference is for the mechanical models, but that being said, there are plenty of older computerized models (1230, 1260) which are great for quilting too. If I were you, as JABC said, I'd start at my local Bernina dealer and ask him to test drive his trade ins. They are usually happy to help you that way.

The first pic below is an 830Record and the fuzzy one is a 930.

So, whatever you finally decide on, be sure to let us know and post a pic!
Attached Thumbnails bernina-830record.jpg   bernina-930.jpg  

Last edited by totosmom; 09-21-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Banned

BSR? What does that mean?
Old 09-21-2013, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Inez Ruth View Post
BSR? What does that mean?
BSR = Bernina Stitch Regulator

It "reads" the movement of the fabric and keeps the stitches a consistent length when free motion quilting.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:44 PM

I have a Bernina Artista 200 that I bought when they came out, about 12 years ago. I added a Bernina Stitch Regulator (BSR) when they came out. I love, love, love, the BSR. FMQ is so easy with the BSR. I hope you can find a used Bernins with a BSR. The Bernina is great for quilting and although the walking foot is expensive, it is worth the cost. The Artista does not have a large throat area; but I have quilted a king size quilt on it. Now, I send large quilts to a LAQ; but twin and smaller, I quilt myself.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
I have a Bernina Artista 200 that I bought when they came out, about 12 years ago. I added a Bernina Stitch Regulator (BSR) when they came out. I love, love, love, the BSR. FMQ is so easy with the BSR. I hope you can find a used Bernins with a BSR. The Bernina is great for quilting and although the walking foot is expensive, it is worth the cost. The Artista does not have a large throat area; but I have quilted a king size quilt on it. Now, I send large quilts to a LAQ; but twin and smaller, I quilt myself.
Does anyone know which models use the BSR? I'm wondering when it came out....
Old 09-21-2013, 05:11 PM

Bernina's in my quilting group are described as the Porsche's of Sewing Machines.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:46 AM

My husband loves going to garage/estate sales, I am hoping to figure out exactly which one I love and let him go to find one for me!!