Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I decided which quilts are going on the quilt show next month

Blog Entries
    I admit I'm still nervous about this... but as gaigai said--if her quilt (watercolor floral log cabin) isn't safe, none of them are safe. So--with that piece of wisdom tucked in my head, the paperwork is getting filled out today. The show is April 23rd and 24th.

I decided on these and to have all of them judged. (Eeek. I'm setting myself up to get my feelings hurt-but I'm going to take the risk. ;) )

Question--there's a place to check whether it's my own design, and I guess I'd not check that unless I didn't use a familiar pattern at all but a created one? Or does that go for color, too?

Also, on the Juried quilt section is reads "to be eligible for the Best of Show award, the piece must be completely designed/created by one person, it cannot be a kit quilt." So--it's considered my creation if I used different colors than a pattern called for? Also--I didn't long arm any of them--but does that still count? The person who long armed each is listed in the paperwork twice.

I'm confused! :roll:

Watercolor floral log cabin
    Name:  Attachment-36839.jpe
Views: 89
Size:  65.8 KB

Scrappy Fall Log Cabin
    Name:  Attachment-37249.jpe
Views: 70
Size:  104.6 KB

Civil War Tribute
    Name:  Attachment-37250.jpe
Views: 70
Size:  80.2 KB

Garden Path
    Name:  Attachment-37281.jpe
Views: 84
Size:  82.2 KB

Kayak on the Lake
    Name:  Attachment-37282.jpe
Views: 67
Size:  76.5 KB

They are all beautiful!! I hope you do well at the show!!

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    I am sure you WILL do well! I adore the watercolor log cabin! It's beautiful!

WOW...I would say you 3 winners there.

They are all so lovely, you will do well with whichever one you put in. The garden path one is great for high lighting those large floral prints. Good Luck.

Blog Entries
    I can't answer your questions, but I really hope you get lots of ribbons, especially winners ones. Can you ask for advice re completing the forms from the organisers?

I'll bet even the judges will have a hard time deciding. Of course you know my favorite-watercolor log cabin. I really like the CW one. Was there a pattern you followed or was it your own design?

Blog Entries
    Barnbum, I am no judge. But, as a spectator I would be ohhhing and ahhhing and be totally amazed by your quilts. Love them all!

They are all gorgeous and show worthy. I hope you do real well at the show.GOOD LUCK!!:-)

Break a Leg :thumbup:

Well, I wish you the best at the show. They are so great I don't know which one I like the best.

They are all beautiful! Very nice work!! I especially love the first log cabin.

Oh I hope you get some ribbons for these, they are beautiful and you do very good work!

Good luck!

Blog Entries
    They are ALL beautiful!

Good choices. Very nice.

Blog Entries
    Do they give ribbons? Oh--I'd love a ribbon!! They want the quilt's story in 75 words...so I'm doing that now.

I really wanted to put my Barn Quilt in... and gaigai thought the Triple Irish Chain...but the first has lots of fixes to get things the same size and the second seems too traditional compared to the ones I picked.

Gal
    Thank you for sharing, these are stunning, I especially like the Civil War Tribute!

Gal

Your quilts are gorgeous. And they are sure to win ribbons. I have 2 quilts entered in a show the same weekend.

When filling out the form, you need to check off if it is your design or a traditional pattern. Changing the colors does not make it your design.

The judge takes a lot into consideration when she gives her points. The binding seems to get a lot of attention and it will bring your points down if the binding isn't perfectly done. The quilts are put into categories: hand quilting, long arm quilted (by a professional) or machine quilted, plus many other categories.

At our guild, each quilt is judged on its own and will get a ribbon when points are added up and it totals a certain amount. We pay to have our quilts judged and we compete against ourself. For if quilts are judged in categories, say there are 20 quilts, there will be a first, second and third place ribbon. But if each quilt is judged on its own, that quilt can either get first, second, or third, or no ribbon. So this way, we have a better chance of getting a ribbon and more people are happier!

The judges "study" for 5 years and have to pass a test, piece and quilt a quilt before becoming certified.

IF, IF, IF I get a ribbon, the judge will write what is good and not so good about the quilt so that I can work on improving my techniques. So it is a learning experience.

Good luck and hope you get a ribbon for each quilt that you enter.

Blog Entries
    Blue Bell--that sounds like the Danish way of judging--like what is done in 4H. I'm not sure if that's how it's done here. I'll find out soon!!

I've read on here about the binding issue... I've only followed what I've learned from reading books on how to do it, so I'll see if the books steered me in the right direction. The corners on the front are nicely mitered and the back of the corners are secured.

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    Blue Bell--that sounds like the Danish way of judging--like what is done in 4H. I'm not sure if that's how it's done here. I'll find out soon!!

I've read on here about the binding issue... I've only followed what I've learned from reading books on how to do it, so I'll see if the books steered me in the right direction. The corners on the front are nicely mitered and the back of the corners are secured.
    They also want the front of the miter secured, as well, so you have time to stitch them.

Blog Entries
    The front? gulp I've never heard of that. My hand stitches are...well delicate is not a word I would use to describe them... so maybe I'd best leave them alone. I like the way they look as is... does that count? :lol:

Blog Entries
    The judges will have a great time looking at those fabulous quilts. When they are done, pack up the Civil War Tribute and send it to me, since it's my FAVORITE! (what a beauty that one is!)

Karla,
    Is there someone you could ask? Another quilting buddy? A quilt shop owner? I just checked the 2 quilts that I had entered for judging. I did stitch both sides of the miter.
    Blue Bell

Blog Entries
    I'll check in with my quilter--who used to belong to the guild. Thanks!

Thanks, Joyjoy. :-D

They are all gorgeous and I'd be happy to have any one of them! Wishing you lots of good luck.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast