Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for seam binding? >

Suggestions for seam binding?

Suggestions for seam binding?

Old 11-14-2016, 10:30 AM

d.rickman was talking about the packages of bias tape that we all had if we were garment sewers, and not talking about "seam binding" - which is thin and sometimes made of a stretchy flimsy lace. If any of you use the older rick-rac - you better wash in hot water and dry in the dryer to shrink it. I know from experience that this stuff shrinks like crazy.

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
This stuff is not bias. It is lace, and quite thin, too. We used it on hems, as suggested in a post above. It would not make bowls. I sent most of mine to Jamaica with other sewing supplies. They have missions there, where they teach women and girls how to sew to make a living.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by d.rickman View Post
You could use some by wrapping cotton clothes line with the opened up bias, and make some cloth bowls, they are easy to make, and you could add other quilting cotton colors. Look up sewn cotton bowls on the web, it is only using a zigzag stitch and your zipper foot. You can also check out the videos on UTube.
I don't think it is possible to use a zig zag stitch with a zipper foot. All the ones I own are for straight stitch. Maybe a beading foot would be best?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Gave a lot of that stuff to my neighbor. She makes cute tops and dresses for granddaughters dolls and such.