Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Blog Entries

Question Suggestions

My little 8 year old granddaughter has expressed a desire to learn to sew and wants a sewing machine for Christmas. What started sewing machine would you recommend? I don't want to buy one of those play sewing machines but feel that putting hundreds of dollars in her first machine is probably not a good idea. Any help (suggestions) would be greatly appreciated.

The Janome(sp) Gem might be a good one. A Brother with a speed control on it might be a good choice, it might be easier for her to use. I think you should be able to get her a nice machine for less than $200. I also think a toy would be a waste of money that could go to a nice machine for her.

I bought a Brother for $99.00 for my husband to sew leather on. It is a really reliable machine that my granddaughter sews on when she comes over. Just a thought.
    Janie

I bought my granddaughter a simple Brother sewing machine at Walmart for her Christmas when she was 8 years old. I thank I gave about $100 for it. She is now 18 and still uses it.

Blog Entries
    A Janome Jem or Janome Hello Kitty. The 1/2 size Hello Kitty is a toy so don't buy that. The Hello Kitty is so simple to use and a real Janome.
    Got fabric?

Walmart has Brother basic machines for about $80, and I have had mine for over twenty years, and it STILL working like a champ......
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Watch Walmat black friday sales. They have been selling one for $50. the past few years.

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to the 3/4ths Hello Kitty by Janome:
    http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Hello-Kitty-Janome-Sewing-Machine/4584360/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}

The reviews are pretty good, and it's a real sewing machine -- not a toy. Check reviews on it at Overstock and probably Amazon has it too. (Target sells it as well.)

If none of the above suggestions work for you, how about a vintage singer? Many can be had for pennies on Craigslist and are good, reliable machines. Or a used machine from your local repair shop? Can usually get a higher end machine for far fewer $$. But I agree, I'd not spend alot of money on a machine for a child of that age - who knows how long that interest will last. By the same token, I'd certainly encourage the interest.

Brother SQ-9050 that I have is very nice and I think would make a great starter machine cost 200 at walmart, love mine tons. She gets more use than my dream machine
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast