Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: sweat shirt jackets

Well, while I was writing my lengthy instructions I see that you do not want patches. Here's another way.
    Use a large sheet of clear plastic--we use the kind you get at Home Depot or such .--they are sold as drop cloths.
    Lay your sweat shirt out and lay plastic on top. Smooth and pin down and trace sides and seam lines with a sharpie.. This will be your pattern. Add seam allowances to what you have drawn on plastic. Cut it out.
    It really works. I've done it twice also.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonjudy
    Well, while I was writing my lengthy instructions I see that you do not want patches. Here's another way.
    Use a large sheet of clear plastic--we use the kind you get at Home Depot or such .--they are sold as drop cloths.
    Lay your sweat shirt out and lay plastic on top. Smooth and pin down and trace sides and seam lines with a sharpie.. This will be your pattern. Add seam allowances to what you have drawn on plastic. Cut it out.
    It really works. I've done it twice also.
    That's a cool idea! I am hopeless with clothing patterns, but I think I could manage that! Thanks!

Thank you for the instructions. I will give this a try, as well. I wanted to do a test piece prior to doing a full quilt as you go jacket. Size and comfort play a big part of my investment of time and materials.

Piecefully yours,
    Kay Susan

HoustonJudy...
    Thanks for the instructions...
    I may haveto try this.
    kirsten

Neat ideas on this site.
    http://www.makeasweatshirtjacket.com/

I am going to try the plastic method and see how it works on a muslin model before I cut the batiks. thanks for the tips everyone. If I get it done, I'll post a photo.

You can do the strip piecing and STILL do the free motion quilting on top of it. I teach a class on making this type of jacket and that's the instructions I gave. (I hope I am understanding what you mean)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2