Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-shirt quilt - any tips? >

T-shirt quilt - any tips?

T-shirt quilt - any tips?

Old 01-03-2014, 06:48 AM

Default T-shirt quilt - any tips?

A friend has asked me to make a tee-shirt quilt (or 2 or 3). I've never attempted it and am wondering if anyone has any tips to make one. I'm hesitant as I wouldn't want to ruin any of the tee-shirts.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 AM

You may already know this, but the T-shirts probably should have interfacing ironed on. I used the lightweight and it worked very well on my T-shirts. I have made a few and they were not like many that I have seen since I made mine (I didn't look before I did mine ) But I really like the fleece backing that I put on mine.. it makes them extra cuddly. Have fun and post pictures when you are finished!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:22 PM
yel

wash shirts WITHOUT fabric softener or dryer sheets .....there are some great web sites to help
Old 01-03-2014, 06:20 PM

Cut the tee shirts extra big. I usually cut them at the shoulders and the sides. Then I iron on the fusable interfacing. I prefer a non woven, light weight Pelon. Then and only then, cut the tee shirts the size you want your blocks to be. You can add lots of things like pieced blocks or sashing. My DS is an Eagle scout so I added the ranks of Boy Scout patches as well as an Eagle patch to his quilt. Just let your inagination go and design your quilt. I would recomend machine quilting for it.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:32 PM

I have found that there is often more Tshirts than needed for the quilt. So to get more shirts in a quilt, I often split them, and sew two or more of them into one section. Like I might take a number from the back of a team shirt, and put the pocket logo on it, maybe in the corner or off to one side. T shirt material does not unravel - so you only need to top stitch it in place.