Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T shirt quilts

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have any ideas to make a quilt using T-shirts that is not just the block by block or even blocks with sashing. I am looking for something more "artsy". Thanks,

Google "t shirt quilt images" and see what comes up. There will be tons of inspiration.

Blog Entries
    I did that recently. I'll search a bit more. Thanks

Blog Entries
    I saved this thread about adding "shadows" to a t-shirt quilt. Scroll down to see a picture of how the quilt was done:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-48453-1.htm

here is one that is on my design wall. Same idea. Note that on the blocks that are not grey, I added a small grey border before the shadow. I arranged them in rows, measured the widest one and then added background strips to make it that size. There is a close up of a block also to show the shadow better. Hope this helps!

quilt top
    Name:  Attachment-162334.jpe
Views: 241
Size:  61.1 KB

close up of block
    Name:  Attachment-162335.jpe
Views: 194
Size:  52.0 KB

I am presently doing a T shirt quilt for 6 yr old great grandson...it has apx 50 patches, had planned to machine applique on to back in random pattern rather than sqs etc...however, after reading evertyhing I can find on T shirt, checking my tensions, using steam fusible backing the t shirt still pucker...am going to resort to hand applique...the back for the patches is taupe with tan, the back is cameo knit...now that is the next problem, once I get the front done...oh well, I did read on this site of some quilter that did one like a pillow case design and just stitched and turned the quilt and tacked on the back thru the batting...maybe I will try that when I get the patches done...It is going to be cute, but, I am not anxiouus to do another one any time soon...memepegg

Soccertxi, I love this idea, will bookmark this thread.

I did one for the relay for Life last year. I backed each t-shirt square with interfacing and then put a border on them. I the appliqued them to the simple quilt top.

I think another idea would be to do an "Attic Window" using the t-shirts as the window panes
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    Wow, that is the best idea I have seen in a long time for t-shirt quilts....very nice. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi
    here is one that is on my design wall. Same idea. Note that on the blocks that are not grey, I added a small grey border before the shadow. I arranged them in rows, measured the widest one and then added background strips to make it that size. There is a close up of a block also to show the shadow better. Hope this helps!

had planned to machine applique on to back in random pattern rather than sqs etc

I think appliqueing would make a very heavy quilt. I use a tricot fusible interfacing on the back of each block. That is a knit interfacing that is used in garments. It gives the block a nice body without much weight. I try to keep everything as light as possible as the knit is already heavier than most cotton quilting fabrics. A knit backing would add more weight I think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast