Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Table runner/placemat sizes?? >

Table runner/placemat sizes??

Table runner/placemat sizes??

Old 06-14-2016, 04:44 PM

My grandmother was a weaver, she made all her hand woven placemats at least 18 inches wide and 12 inches tall. She was old school and believed that all the utensils, dishes, glass ware had to be on the placemat. She also used rigid mats in the middle of placemats, to protect her oak table from hot plates (plates are always heated for a hot meal in our family). A bread and butter plate could be off the placemat.

So the other variable is the size of dinner ware and the number of utensils and glasses that need to be accommodated. Smaller plates with just a knife, fork and spoon, plus one glass need less room that a more formal place setting.

I have a very narrow dining room table, to fit my narrow dining room. I have used matching long runners across the table so each end becomes a place mat for that seat. Or I use placemats, but I do not have room for runners and placemat together.

Mostly I use vintage embroidered and hand made lace table cloths. I will put a place mat on top if I am dining alone or if I have guests and we are eating something potentially messy like spaghetti.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:46 PM

I use a table topper in the middle of my table and placemats -- I don't like a table runner with my placemats. I am also one of those folks who adapt the size of the placemats to suit my tables.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:33 AM

The place mats on my table are 16 1/2" wide by 13" tall.....guess place mats come in various sizes.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:54 AM

One does not necessarily use the placemats and tablerunner at the same time. My kitchen table is 38 inches and my dining room table is 44 inches. I use tablerunners in between meals. The placemats when the table is set. My placemats are 13-1/2 inches wide. Sometimes I use an extra placement in the center under a flower vase but don't leave the runner on the table for a meal.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:16 AM

Thank you for all the replies. I think I stated in my first post that the group I sew for requested table runner/placemat SETS to sell at a craft fair. Based on what you all have said, I will continue to sew matching runners and placemats but I will keep them separate, priced separately. If an individual chooses to purchase a set of placemats and a runner, made out of the same fabric, they can do so. But it seems many other customers will buy pieces instead. I would not have known this without your valuable feedback.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:21 AM

Don't forget some people have round tables. Personally, I would prefer the placemats be a little curved and smaller at the top than the bottom.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:44 AM

Google patterns for each and check them out,
Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 AM

Make a place setting with plate, glass, cup and saucer and flatware. Then measure it and give a bit more for space. If you have a pretty 'regular' size table, lay a piece of fabric down the center leaving room for the place settings along side it and measure the fabric. These measurements would be a good start. Reminder, if you want to put something inside the placemats, don't make it so thick that a wine glass will loose it's balance!
Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

The sets I made for my aunts were 9x13.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:46 AM

Great topic, I make placemats often and have posted many photos ... Minimum size would be 12-1/2 X 14, they really come out different sized depending the method and pattern I use. Using charm squares produce larger placemats.
I plan to make a table runner to match next time .. To put on table when meals are not being served (I now leave placemats on table all the time -- I am thinking a runner would be a lovely change. Great ideas every day in these boards. Off with these new ideas.

Judy in Phx, AZ