Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Table runner/placemat sizes?? >

Table runner/placemat sizes??

Table runner/placemat sizes??

Old 06-13-2016, 02:09 PM

Yes, I agree the sizes seem quite variable. I'll be making these for sale to unknown people. I guess I'd better make them on the smaller side to be safe. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Personally, I think the sizes should vary. Every one has a different sized table. My table is smaller than my sister's so we would need different size table runners. What would look good on my sister's table might look too big on mine
i agree. I like mine 14 x 18" as I want room for the wine/water glass to be on the placemat and also not be affected by the thickness of the binding ( for tipping reasons). These fit my table but they may be too big for others. One of the things I like about sewing/quilting, is that I can customize for me. For a craft show, I'd probably make them 13"x18".
Old 06-14-2016, 02:42 AM
Power Poster

There is no one size for placemats. The size varies mostly depending on the pattern.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
i agree. I like mine 14 x 18" as I want room for the wine/water glass to be on the placemat and also not be affected by the thickness of the binding ( for tipping reasons). These fit my table but they may be too big for others. One of the things I like about sewing/quilting, is that I can customize for me. For a craft show, I'd probably make them 13"x18".
I make my personal placemats oversized also, so that the glass can be on the mat and not the table itself. I make them 15" high by about 20" wide. Table runners vary from 12" "high" to 15" or even more, but the perfect size depends on what looks best on the table. My own table doesn't look good with both a runner and mats at the same time.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
My own table doesn't look good with both a runner and mats at the same time.
That comment really got me thinking Lee. The group I sew for specifically asked for placemat/table runner sets but perhaps they don't know the market. I think I should also make table runners and placemat sets as stand alone items. Because there are probably a lot of people like you in the world. Thanks!!
Old 06-14-2016, 06:13 AM

I wouldn't buy a matched place mats and table runner set. I would use the runner or the place mats on a table and not both. Even though my tables are very wide, I don't like the look. My problem with place mats is they come in sets of four and I need five. I refuse to buy two sets, so until I sew some for myself, we don't use place mats.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:18 AM

Love what I learn here! I made two table runners in the size you see in quilter's magazines. I can't put a place mat down for us to use because my table isn't very wide and the table runner really needs to be skinnier. I've been trying to decide if I can modify table runners or just start making place mats. My DH suggested a place mat that would go from his side across to my side of the table (like a bed runner). I'm seriously thinking of trying this out!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by carolaiken View Post
My DH suggested a place mat that would go from his side across to my side of the table (like a bed runner).

I think you've just invented something!! I like that idea. While looking at images of runners/placemats on google I did see regular width runners that went across the table. In the pictures they had 2-3 runners along the length of the table but one wider one sounds like a great idea. Very original!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolaiken
My DH suggested a place mat that would go from his side across to my side of the table (like a bed runner).

I like this idea. Some tables are pretty small - especially in RV type homes
Old 06-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

I use most of my homemade place mats on the breakfast bar and I really like to make them oversized. (14"x19") But, I know not everyone has that in mind when they are buying mats. My fancy dining table ones are 12"x17" that I bought.