Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Table runner and topper sizes? >

Table runner and topper sizes?

Table runner and topper sizes?

Old 09-02-2013, 07:47 AM

Default Table runner and topper sizes?

I need some pointers on sizes for table toppers and runners.

I have a narrow rectangular table. 31x47 with two 17.5 inch extensions. Should I make runners in 3 different sizes to accommodate the 3 possible lengths of the table?

We eat all our meals at it.

I made one runner for it, but it was way too wide, I did not have room to set the table when it was on the table. Or it the idea to remove the runner before setting the table?

I have a few questions around size.

Should a runner hang off the end of the table to just cover the centre?

Is their a standard ratio for the size of a table runner compared to the size of the table?

What about table toppers for round tables? My mum and mil have round tables. Is their a ratio for toppers?

I do not have resources (time and money) to do a bunch of trial runs to see what works best.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

I think it's personal preference for the size of table toppers and runners. I can see it would be a problem if leaving the runner on the table when setting it would mean that your dishes would be part on and part off of the runner, but otherwise you can leave it on (realizing that food might spill on it) or take it off. Tables look very festive with the runner in place.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 AM

I would make the runner 30 inches to go on that way or to go length ways width 15 inches see what others say.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:35 AM

I have made one that is too wide for place mats to go with it. I think in the future I would make one a little narrower so I could use place mats along the sides. Not sure on the length. Either long enough that I don't need place mats on the ends or short enough to accommodate them. As for a round table, I have been thinking this one over for my Mom. I guess the same thoughts would determine the size of this one also.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

I like my runners to hang off the ends of the table, but no one sits at the ends... I would make it 6' (72"). When 0 or 1 of the leaves are installed, it will hang off the ends, and when the table is fully extended it can 'float' in the middle.
As to your 'trial and error' comment, I would get a sheet and fold it to different sizes to see what you like. As far as a round table, you need to either make it big enough so the plates sit fully on it, or make it small enough that they don't. Same thing with a runner.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:57 AM

The size is really up to you...you could try using paper/newspaper to lay on the table to help determine a size you like, then find a pattern you can use or adapt to fit the area you like.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:15 PM

An octagon shape really suits a round table -I have made several for my mum's round table.

If you are interested in that shape just let me know and I can help you draw out the size that you want.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:42 AM

I would say that you would have to remove the runner each time you set the table. I sometimes find the same issue with placemats when the DGKs set their beverage down on the edge.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:35 AM

I make my table runners small enough to set the table. They act as decorative elements in the center. But I also make runners for my kitchen island to set casseroles on and make a buffet line. So far I have a mexican one and a seafood one. They function as giant hot pads. I even put the heat proof batting in them (like the kind used in potholders).