Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: need help with how to figure piece sizes in table runner

First, I apologize for not knowing where I got the photo--it was either here or somewhere on the 'net. I liked the pattern and would like to make something similar. I am a fairly new quilter but thought I could figure this out. I decided the small squares within the larger square would be 4 1/2" (so the finished center block would be 12" finished) and I don't have any problem figuring out most of the pieces.

The pieces that are puzzling me are the rectangles with the 45 degree angle/triangle on the end. Of course, I have already cut the fabric and the sizes are wrong! :oops: I thought starting with a 4 1/2 x 2 1/2" rectangle and sewing a 2 1/2" square diagonally at the top would do the trick but I certainly thought wrong!

I would greatly appreciate any help with my dilemma. (This table runner is a fabric exchange and quilt challenge with my local quilt guild. Maybe I should have chosen something simpler!)

Thanks so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    You could make those a 1/2 sq triangle piece and attach them to the square :wink:

Amma, that would be a simple solution. It didn't occur to me. I know you have to add some fraction of an inch to the squares when cutting them into HSTs--is it 7/8"? So I would still have to cut more fabric.

Blog Entries
    I believe that is correct :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I think if you want a finished hst to be 2 1/2" you would cut your squares 2 7/8".

Blog Entries
    Your calulations sound like they should have worked. I am a hands on person and without seeing it I am not sure why they didn't.

Okay, after thinking about this some more, I realized that the 45 degree angle of the two pieces joined to make the rectangle is the same kind of seam I get when I join pieces of binding diagonally to make longer lengths. After playing with some scraps, I think if I cut the pieces (that I had cut as 2 1/2" squares) as rectangles, about 3 1/2 x 2 1/2, I can join them to make the pieces I need (I'll cut them to the correct length after sewing). At least, I think so!

Maybe I can still salvage the rectangles I have already cut, but will have to find other uses for the 2 1/2" squares--maybe use them on the back side of the runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
    Okay, after thinking about this some more, I realized that the 45 degree angle of the two pieces joined to make the rectangle is the same kind of seam I get when I join pieces of binding diagonally to make longer lengths. After playing with some scraps, I think if I cut the pieces (that I had cut as 2 1/2" squares) as rectangles, about 3 1/2 x 2 1/2, I can join them to make the pieces I need (I'll cut them to the correct length after sewing). At least, I think so!

Maybe I can still salvage the rectangles I have already cut, but will have to find other uses for the 2 1/2" squares--maybe use them on the back side of the runner.
    Here is what I came up with using Quilt Pro based on a 12" center block. I would use 1 4.5 inch square for the center of that block so deduct four of the 2.5 inch squares from the rotary chart. Also, the setting triangles are not the way I would do them in real life but it will work this way. I would make them smaller and continue the 2" border all the way around, mitering the corners. Quilt Pro is a little fussy when it comes to cutting odd shapes. It can be done but I didn't feel like making it do it my way--LOL!

Tablerunner
    Name:  Attachment-77339.jpe
Views: 69
Size:  42.2 KB

Thanks so much, Beverly! That is neat! and helpful. Maybe I'll have to think about buying some quilt making software! :D

Thanks so much, Beverly! That is neat! and helpful. Maybe I'll have to think about buying some quilt making software! :D
    You're welcome. I use it to figure yardage & compare colors before cutting any fabric, mostly.

Now I need help deciding how to finish this table runner with a border. The original runner in the photo above uses the patterned fabric for the border. Because the flowered fabric I'm using is kind of busy, would a plain border be better? I was thinking about using the pale green, then binding with the dark blue. Or do you think that would be too much contrast? Maybe not even use a border, just a binding??? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW! It's prettier than the original! I don't think the daisies would be too busy to add and I really love the blue so either one would be great.

Thanks, Beverly. I'll do a 'preview' tomorrow with a strip of the flowered fabric. I was too lazy to do it today when I got my camera out to take the photo.

I'm thinking about using two narrow borders (first the flowered, then the dark blue), then finishing it via the envelope method instead of adding the blue binding. Can I sew the two border fabrics together, then cut and sew that onto the table runner, saving me the trouble of sewing them separately and dealing with the angles of the runner twice? Or won't that work? I can't quite think it through. :shock: Maybe I'll practice with some scrap fabric.

I think a border in the light blue would be very pretty. Then bind in the flowers? Or maybe bind in the dark blue.
    Either way, it sure is pretty! Good job!

I'm thinking about using two narrow borders (first the flowered, then the dark blue), then finishing it via the envelope method instead of adding the blue binding. Can I sew the two border fabrics together, then cut and sew that onto the table runner, saving me the trouble of sewing them separately and dealing with the angles of the runner twice? Or won't that work? I can't quite think it through. :shock: Maybe I'll practice with some scrap fabric.
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do this. I think if you just sew long strips of the two borders together, then pieced them to the runner, it would turn out fine.

The angles aren't really that hard for the borders. Just cut the border strips a little long & mark the angles on the fabric and make a Y seam at each seam.

It's easily small enough to "birth" it to get it sandwiched.

I made a similar shaped runner but did the traditional sandwich & mitered corner binding on it. I had been practicing on potholders and coasters right before I did it. It's just a matter of lining up the angles--like billiards--LOL!