Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help with how to figure piece sizes in table runner >

need help with how to figure piece sizes in table runner

need help with how to figure piece sizes in table runner

Old 07-18-2010, 01:20 PM

Now I need help deciding how to finish this table runner with a border. The original runner in the photo above uses the patterned fabric for the border. Because the flowered fabric I'm using is kind of busy, would a plain border be better? I was thinking about using the pale green, then binding with the dark blue. Or do you think that would be too much contrast? Maybe not even use a border, just a binding??? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74638.jpe  
Old 07-18-2010, 04:13 PM

WOW! It's prettier than the original! I don't think the daisies would be too busy to add and I really love the blue so either one would be great.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:02 PM

Thanks, Beverly. I'll do a 'preview' tomorrow with a strip of the flowered fabric. I was too lazy to do it today when I got my camera out to take the photo.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 AM

I'm thinking about using two narrow borders (first the flowered, then the dark blue), then finishing it via the envelope method instead of adding the blue binding. Can I sew the two border fabrics together, then cut and sew that onto the table runner, saving me the trouble of sewing them separately and dealing with the angles of the runner twice? Or won't that work? I can't quite think it through. :shock: Maybe I'll practice with some scrap fabric.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:35 AM

I think a border in the light blue would be very pretty. Then bind in the flowers? Or maybe bind in the dark blue.
Either way, it sure is pretty! Good job!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
I'm thinking about using two narrow borders (first the flowered, then the dark blue), then finishing it via the envelope method instead of adding the blue binding. Can I sew the two border fabrics together, then cut and sew that onto the table runner, saving me the trouble of sewing them separately and dealing with the angles of the runner twice? Or won't that work? I can't quite think it through. :shock: Maybe I'll practice with some scrap fabric.
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do this. I think if you just sew long strips of the two borders together, then pieced them to the runner, it would turn out fine.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:58 AM

The angles aren't really that hard for the borders. Just cut the border strips a little long & mark the angles on the fabric and make a Y seam at each seam.

It's easily small enough to "birth" it to get it sandwiched.

I made a similar shaped runner but did the traditional sandwich & mitered corner binding on it. I had been practicing on potholders and coasters right before I did it. It's just a matter of lining up the angles--like billiards--LOL!