Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tablemats and birthing method >

Tablemats and birthing method

Tablemats and birthing method

Old 03-17-2015, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
Can you piece the backing? If so, you can leave an opening in the back seam to turn thru. This way you can stitch all the way around your piece and hand stitch the opening on the back where it will not show.
This is what I do and it seems as if the opening closes better there and I the quilting will hide some if it isn't perfect.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:32 AM

This is the right thread at the right time I'm also making placemats and some really good ideas. Thanks
Old 03-18-2015, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
Do you have any Wonder Tape? It's a narrow, double-sided, sticky tape that washes out. Since it's sticky on both sides, the cloth doesn't have a chance of moving.

I bought it for sewing zippers and now I use it for lots of things.

Tate
I love that stuff! I use it when joining binding, I found a "cheater" method online that works very well for me. No more too-tight or too-baggy binding for me!
Old 03-19-2015, 03:53 AM

Whenever I birth a potholder, place mat or similar items I always slip stitch the opening closed by hand after it is turned and before it is top stitched. You can do it without the stitches even showing by using a fine needle to get little stitches and using the fold to run your thread along. It makes the top stitching easier to do and overall just looks nicer I think. I recently gave some microwave bowls and potholders to a friend and she kept going around and around the edge to figure out how I made them as she couldn't find the area where I had turned them. I don't use my walking foot to top stitch the edge because it doesn't like it when I am stitching close to an edge and only a small part of the walking foot is on the fabric.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:52 AM

If the edge is on the bias, could it be stretching just a bit when you turn the quilt right side out through the opening? Hence the little extra fabric which results in a tuck?
Old 03-19-2015, 06:47 AM

You are getting that bit of pucker probably because the fabrics are being stretched as you squeeze the whole thing out of that little opening.....try leaving a bigger open section for turning out......after I've turned out, I iron down that edge all around...folding under that open seam and the steam will tighten it up if there is a pucker.....just a hint....
Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by quilterjody View Post
Before I sew around I use fusible web and fuse the opening closed. I use the lightweight sewable fusible. I then don't have to worry about things moving around on me and I don't have to pin the opening closed.
I do, too - I have found this works well. :-)

Marysewfun
Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 AM

Paper Princess and Quiltmouse have the right ideas. When I use the birthing method I always let the top go just a smidge over, we're talking tiny amount and it works perfectly. Another tricky time is when you are doing circles using the birthing method, such as coasters. I used to screw these up regularly until I found that if I cut them out on the bias there was just enough give to allow me to make a nice smooth closure without puckers.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun View Post
I do, too - I have found this works well. :-)

Marysewfun
Wow! I love this idea. Thank you big time.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:01 AM

Thanks for so many great suggestions! I have 4 more sets of placemats ready to birth, so I think I will have a go at all of these methods! I picked up some wonder tape today, so will try that next!