Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk to me about "the birthing method" >

Talk to me about "the birthing method"

Talk to me about "the birthing method"

Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 AM

From what i am understanding, this method is basiically, Stitching the batting,top and bottom and then flipping it right side in and then doing a stitch to sew the hole you basically flipped it thru.

I have done this before, but have only hand-tied the quilt... How exactly would you machine quilt this? would you do it as normal? I would be worried of "air pockets"...no???

Can anyone help?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:59 AM

When you birth a quilt you still have to baste stich so it all lyes flat. if you do that will eliminate the bubbles.You can save the basting stich thred on a pice of card board and use it for quilting if you want.I birthed my first quilt and for a long time did not know any other way! after you get 3/4 way around then you take out the baste stiches and turn it and sew hole up. I sudgest pining hole then lay it down and check it and keep re pining until it is strait then sew.I recentle wonder if it realy is faster, and as for quilting you re bast stick or pin after it is right side out and quilt as you normaly would.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:03 AM

lol, I've never heard it called this before ;-)
Old 06-29-2010, 08:03 AM

I'd turn and stitch the opening as you said, then from the right side pin the three layers together just as in pinning the "sandwich" in the other technique. It can be machine quilted just as the other style. the stitching/quilting pattern might be a little different because, since I"m not squaring up and binding off the edges, I can't just run my stitching off the edges of the quilt. I'd want to make sure that my stitching design would remain on the quilt and come close to the edge to make sure I covered all the surface. Does that make any sense?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 AM

yes.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:12 AM

I recently did a flannel baby quilt with this method. Didn't think I could pull off any type of binding with flannel quickly.

I layered and taped the unit from the bottom up...
batting
back - right side UP
top - right side DOWN

Pinned the 3 pieces to make sure it didn't move.
Stitch around the perimeter with the quilt top on top so I could make sure I saw the 1/4" seam part.

Leave about 12" to turn - trim close to edge then right side out.

I flattened smooth, and pinned for quilting (hand distance apart) and stitched around the binding. I sewed the closure afterwards.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
I recently did a flannel baby quilt with this method. Didn't think I could pull off any type of binding with flannel quickly.

batting
back - right side UP
top - right side DOWN

Stitch around the perimeter with the quilt top on top so I could make sure I saw the 1/4" seam part.

I flattened smooth, and pinned for quilting (hand distance apart) and stitched around the binding. I sewed the closure afterwards.
This is exactly the way I did mine and it worked great. Just remember to pin it heavily and you will be fine.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere

batting
back - right side UP
top - right side DOWN

This is what we do at our church for our tied quilts. After we sew the 3 peices together we birth through the opening then re-pin around the borders, then SITD around the borders, hand sew the opening closed, then place ties in the quilt.

I would assume you could just as easily machine stitch the quilt as place ties in it.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:50 PM

This is the quilt i am doing it too, suggestions on how to quilt it would be appreciated :-)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84983.jpe  
Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 PM

Of course, I still also need to figure out how to put the backing on LOL