Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tablemats and birthing method >

Tablemats and birthing method

Tablemats and birthing method

Old 03-19-2015, 11:14 AM

Recently at a quilt expo I was taught this trick, but I haven't tried it yet. She swears it prevents that pucker. The solid line is the edge of your material and the slashes are the stitch line. instead of ending straight you stitch out to the edge of the fabric and lock stitch it so it doesn't unravel before you turn. If you try it let us know how it works please.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514141[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails open.jpg  
Old 03-19-2015, 12:38 PM

What I do is while you still have it inside out, press the seam allowance in at the opening, I find this works for me.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

I prefer to use the birthing method for small wall hangings, table runners and placemats; but every so often, no matter how careful I try to be, there has always been a little pucker at the opening. I tried using 1/4" Wonder-Under (or other brands like Steam A Seam) to close the opening using the iron to fuse the opening and I find I get better results. It can be an extra step, but when I sew around the edge of item I'm birthing I like how the opening stays together, with fewer puckers. Hope I have explained this well enough for you.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:46 AM

I decided to rip out my topstitching on the ones I had already done and just sewed them again using the wonder tape. That stuff is some kind of magic! Seriously can't believe the difference! I can see myself using this stuff a lot in the future! Thanks so much for the suggestion!
Old 03-21-2015, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Leonita View Post
Method I learned. Sew the seam shut & if you have a border untsitch that. & turn. did 3 sets & they looked nice. I can never get the seam closed nicely until I did this method. sorry I don't do pics. & don't remember where i got the idea. Maybe a quiltmaker mag with a quilt.
This is the method I also use. Sew all the way around using my walking foot, then open the amount of space you need to turn it. Makes for a smooth seam.