Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taking a machine to workshops >

taking a machine to workshops

taking a machine to workshops

Old 11-13-2014, 08:23 AM

One fun way to mark your machine is to get it a tattoo - a decal. I have one on my Bernina 440QE. You can find them at https://www.urbanelementz.com/shop/category/decals/. In full disclosure, the owner is a friend of mine, but her products are high quality and there is a nice selection.

As an old Girl Scout leader, I put my initials on everything that is easily duplicated. It does minimize confusion, especially if there is only one cutting station or several ironing boards. I use a purple Sharpie. If you have a favorite color, use it for marking everything. Labels are good, too, but can be peeled off.

If you plan on taking a lot of classes, especially as a newbie, it might be easier if you get a smaller machine. And you will be able to take it on retreats and workshops. I have several Singer 221 Featherweights, and alternate between them. The advantage of a mechanical machine is that you can leave it in the trunk of your car in all weather (though in SE Texas, it doesn't get too cold, so I don't know how it would do in the lower temps). I left one of my FWs in the trunk of my car for about 6 months, using it when I needed it, and didn't bring it in the house until I needed to lube and oil it.

In addition to the power cord/surge protector, you might need a lamp. I always take a small fan and an iron (though some places won't let you use it because of the load on their electrical system).

Make a list of everything you are taking. You can check off the items as you pack them, and you can check them off as you repack them, so you will know that you are going home with everything you brought.

Last edited by mckwilter; 11-13-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewsue View Post
I stick address labels on my machine and tools. Don't forget a surge protector- and stick an address label on that too. You can buy clear ones and print them yourself. They work really well on rulers!
This is what I do also, I even put one in a not so obvious place on my machine.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:01 AM

I use a dot of turquoise nail polish on everything, along with my name in Sharpie. Doubt anyone has exactly the same machine PLUS the same color nail polish! You could also write down the serial number of your machine - nobody can argue with that!
Old 11-13-2014, 01:43 PM

I always label my machines and my take alongs (scissors, etc.)
Old 11-13-2014, 04:54 PM

Good topic. I have enough problems keeping track of my keys.

I didn't think of a surge protector.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:45 PM

I have an address label on my power cord,foot pedal and on the bottom of the machine. When I just need a straight stitch, I take my purple featherweight.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I label everything. Machine, manual, foot control, power cord, extension cord, hard case, scissors, rulers cutting mat..., well you get the picture!
I use one of those p-touch label makers.
I do the same, especially when taking it to be serviced. I unknowingly got my machine back with a different foot pedal. There was no way to locate my original. My advice - don't take chances.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:33 AM

Label everything. Mistakes happen and while most people are honest it only takes one bad one to ruin your day. If you have a machine with expensive small parts like bobbin cases or attachments take the small stuff with you if you leave for any length of time. Better safe than sorry.
Rodney
Old 11-14-2014, 09:33 AM

A great idea to label everything! At a retreat, a woman stole another's Bernina because she was unhappy with her own and had complained loudly throughout the retreat. The director was a friend of mine. She got into her car and drove to the woman's house and demanded that machine be turned over to her in exchange for the stolen one. She got the machine and returned it to the rightful owner. I learned then to label everything!
Old 11-14-2014, 05:22 PM

I label everything too. I use a label maker and use a bright green label stock. Not only does it have my name, but the color is a quick identifier.