Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Talk about starting them young!

Talk about starting them young!

My 3 1/2 year old son is CONSTANTLY coming up to me and saying, "I wanna help you work, I wanna help you sew!"

So he sits on my lap and holds his left hand flat on the material to the left of the presser foot, with his thumb tucked under his fingers, to avoid the "dangerous" needle.

Can't wait until he's big enough to do it on his own!
    "Some people have bunches of WIPs (works in progress) and UFOs (unfinished objects)....I prefer to think of them as PhDs (Projects Half Done)!!" ~Elena Boen
    "Just keep in mind that your function here is to have fun and not to be someone else's interior decorator! So ... go forth and have fun!" ~Krystyna
    I cannot count my day complete 'til needle, thread and fabric meet.

Just think he might grow up to be a Taylor of cloths some day
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

How sweet. I know you will always treasure this special time you were able to spend with him.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomOf3 View Post
    My 3 1/2 year old son is CONSTANTLY coming up to me and saying, "I wanna help you work, I wanna help you sew!"

So he sits on my lap and holds his left hand flat on the material to the left of the presser foot, with his thumb tucked under his fingers, to avoid the "dangerous" needle.

Can't wait until he's big enough to do it on his own!
    Congrats to both of you. HOpe he hangs on to his interest
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

That is so cute. How about a picture?
    Sewbeadit
    Montesano, Washington

my youngest granddaughter was 4 when she made her first quilt- i picked up a small ($89) brother machine at walmart that had speed control on it- set up her small care bear table & chairs & turned the speed to the slowest the machine would go- she layed her fabrics out on the floor- arranging as she wanted- the only things i did for her was cutting & ironing. (she did some of her own cutting with a pair of kids safety shears but did bring me a few pieces to cut for her. some of her seams were 1 1/2" wide- few were anything close to straight- but she was Thrilled with her quilt- and sent it to her dad who had just deployed- it meant everything to him & to her- and now- 8 years & 3 more deployments later he still carries that quilt around the world where ever he goes. at no time have i ever told her- 'no-you can't do it that way' and over the years her skills have improved- her love of sewing has grown- she believes if you can lay it out & invision it-you can make it
    as long as safety is always practiced i think if they are old enough to have interest-they are old enough. our only rule over the years has been---no one under 18 can go near a rotory cutter- scissors work just fine- and you have to be enough (& over 12) to use the iron- and they can not just cut up fabric for the sake of cutting it up- they always have to have a plan-and use what they take. when my granddaughter's come to visit they sometimes spend hours just (pawing) through my fabric shelves...the oldest one loves designing purses for herself & her friends- and some other clothing/assessories---the youngest prefers quilts & pillows-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

How wonderful to hear these stories!! The quilt carried on deployment brought tears to my eyes just imagining the love that it shares over 3 generations of family! Many of us were probably lucky enough to have had mothers and grandmothers who set the example, gave us some basic skills and then just let us be creative and learn from our mistakes and successes. May we all help foster creativity in future generations!
    "Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them."
    ---Lady Bird Johnson

what a wonderful story.

I'll try to post a pic later today...
    "Some people have bunches of WIPs (works in progress) and UFOs (unfinished objects)....I prefer to think of them as PhDs (Projects Half Done)!!" ~Elena Boen
    "Just keep in mind that your function here is to have fun and not to be someone else's interior decorator! So ... go forth and have fun!" ~Krystyna
    I cannot count my day complete 'til needle, thread and fabric meet.

Great kids and great moms!!

Dina

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast