Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How young is too young for a quilt?

I once heard that you should not put a quilt on a baby. If the quilt is too heavy, it may do harm. Does anyone have any idea of what this means? I am assuming that if the baby is not able to turn itself over,etc it may be too restricted in their movement?? (suffocate? heaven forbid!).

I also worry about flamability (sic) of baby quilts.

A friend wants me to make a quilt for her new grandchild that is due in late fall. I just want to make sure she understands the relationship of the age of the baby and a quilt.

anyone?
    sandy

bkb
    Never heard that and all 5 of the ones I have raised used quilts from day 1!

It's a wonder that any of us lived with all these new "rules."

In my house quilts go on babies right from the get go and they have all thrived.

Vicky

I never head it before either and I raised 3 and 5 grandkids and they each had quilts. In fact my great grandaughter is sleeping with the one I made her mom,even tho I made her a baby quilt...she like her moms big girl quilt.....guess it is time to make her one.
    Charlotte

I raised my kids, all with quilts from Grandma. I was also and I am still here.
    Never heard of such a thing and I hope it isn't true. I am making 3 quilts for my new great nephews due all in August.

Ihave never heard of a baby being smothered by a quilt. I doubt any mother would put it over the face of a child. Make a light weight quilt and do your very best, it will be treasured and used.
    If it is really pretty, it may end up as a wall hanging.

Carol J.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl
    I once heard that you should not put a quilt on a baby. If the quilt is too heavy, it may do harm. Does anyone have any idea of what this means? I am assuming that if the baby is not able to turn itself over,etc it may be too restricted in their movement?? (suffocate? heaven forbid!).

A friend wants me to make a quilt for her new grandchild that is due in late fall. I just want to make sure she understands the relationship of the age of the baby and a quilt.

anyone?
    sandy
    This information is correct. With the improvement in the loss of babies to SIDS which by the way also includes suffocation a lot of the time it is recommended no blankets or bumper pads in the crib. Quilts make wonderful tummy time mats for on the floor.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I did not use quilts in the crib with my kids due to the possibility is suffocation but I did use them for floor time. Nothing better then a nice thick quilt for a baby to roll around on.

I made quilts for the two youngest grandchildren (wasn't quilting yet for the oldest). They love them, and slept on their backs til they could turn themselves over. the youngest uses his all the time (he just turned 3) and it is flannel and chenille. Now that he is older he likes his ear covered when he turns onto his tummy. The middle one still has the flannel quilt on her bed,between her sheet and other blanket. It is really too small for her but she loves it.

As an aside, my younger child is 41. When he was born he loved to sleep on his back, and the dr. said "oh no, can't, he'll choke if he spits up". I'm glad SIDS rates are down though.

Blog Entries
    there are always those instances where something unfortunate happens-
    there are always those people who are somewhat (extremists) who hear one story and suddenly decide it is Gospel and would have warnings on every item we come in contact with.
    babies have been wrapped in quilts through out history.
    there are now warnings that you should never make a child under 3 a raggy quilt- they may chew on the frayed edges and choke.
    you should never put a button on anything for a child under 5-
    you should never - you should never- you should never

getting up in the morning has its own inherent risks.
    in the past 35 years i have made at least 200 baby quilts--so far i haven't (caused harm) to a single baby -- and some of those quilts have been passed down to new generations.

Blog Entries
    I think with any baby you have to use common sense. I always swaddled my babies when they were tiny, now they have little bags to put them in. As they got bigger they wore the fleece jammies. I always had a blanket in the crib, didn't quilt back then. My kids all survived. My daughter used the quilts as more of a decoration in the room. I love making baby quilts and figure the mother will use it as she sees fit. The quilt as a gift is a sign of love bestowed upon the new mom and the new baby. Give a quilt, don't worry about the rules.

Gee I make them as gifts for all the new babies...I think they are all still alive...Sick of all these panic rules..How many of you ended up in the hosp after roller skating with knee pads or head helmet on and on....Make the quilts and ignore this nonsense.
    Not only are they used as blankets but they throw they on the flr as playmates.

I never used quilts in the crib and my children are 37 and 42. The quilts were used to put over them when we outside in the cold and put on the floor for play time.

I worked with babies for 15 years and believe me the rules may be nonsense to you but I have had 3 babies die One I know was suffocation cause Mom ignored me and Baby was wrapped in a beautiful homemade quilt when I last saw him alive. Almost lost another baby when his head became stuck under the bumper pad he was a scootcher but thank Heavens mom saw him in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Up North

anyone?
    sandy
    This information is correct. With the improvement in the loss of babies to SIDS which by the way also includes suffocation a lot of the time it is recommended no blankets or bumper pads in the crib. Quilts make wonderful tummy time mats for on the floor.
    Thank you for your input! I thought I was "crazy' to even worry about this and yes, I did not wear a helmet when learning to ride my bike in the 1960s but things change and "improve" or not. I realize that life and the worry-warts seem to rule BUT I still wanted input and thank you also to the grammies and aunties and mommies who also gave their input. Really, it is appreciated!

I love the idea of a floor mat or wall hanging too.
    sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    I worked with babies for 15 years and believe me the rules may be nonsense to you but I have had 3 babies die One I know was suffocation cause Mom ignored me and Baby was wrapped in a beautiful homemade quilt when I last saw him alive. Almost lost another baby when his head became stuck under the bumper pad he was a scootcher but thank Heavens mom saw him in time.
    OH MY GOSH!!!!! How heartbreaking for you and the parents! I knew someone years ago who lost their first born to SIDS. My aunt and uncle lost a baby in 1956 to this then "unknown" syndrome. I was not born at the time but that heartbreak lived on. My mom always felt bad because my brother was only months difference in age. so so sorry for your experience.
    Sandy

It never hurts to err on the safe side. Wouldn't you hate to be held responsible by your children(and yourself)if anything happened to your grandkids. You could still give the quilt to the mom and tell her not to use them ON the baby til it's a little older.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    there are always those instances where something unfortunate happens-
    there are always those people who are somewhat (extremists) who hear one story and suddenly decide it is Gospel and would have warnings on every item we come in contact with.
    babies have been wrapped in quilts through out history.
    there are now warnings that you should never make a child under 3 a raggy quilt- they may chew on the frayed edges and choke.
    you should never put a button on anything for a child under 5-
    you should never - you should never- you should never

getting up in the morning has its own inherent risks.
    in the past 35 years i have made at least 200 baby quilts--so far i haven't (caused harm) to a single baby -- and some of those quilts have been passed down to new generations.
    Amen to that.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    It is an accepted practice these days to not put any textiles in the crib. but a quilt is a long-term gift that is appreciated no matter what. there are many other ways to use it, for an infant, toddler or pre-schooler. I make a quilt as a gesture, not a need.

While it's true that you shouldn't put anything in the crib except the baby. I wouldn't think the quilt maker would be to blame if the mother choses to put the quilt in the crib. Even though we older mothers did use bumper pads, and blankets and had nothing tragic happen, it only has to happen once to wake people up. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    Sue

Hi,

I was a daycare provider for 34 years and that is true about quilts and blankets on babies. I, however, used quilts all the time for tummy time or over the car seat, in the buggy, etc.

Lots of new rules and regulations for almost everything we all grew up using or doing.....funny we're all here!

Make the quilt and make it lighter, I just made my great neice one and used polyester batting so it's lighter and she is using it. Not sure about if it's in the crib or not.

Totally up to the new parents and it's an awesome gift.

Bev

To answer your questions, the
    American Academy of
    Pediatrics suggests that nothing soft be in a child's crib, meaning quilt, blanket, bumper pads, stuffed animals, etc. Any parent should check with his or her pediatrician with specific questions. Both suffocation and overheating can be dangers for babies.

As for flammability, some battings are available that are coated with flame-retardant chemicals. However, these same chemicals are highly toxic and widely recognized as some of the most dangerous to which our children are exposed. Parents need to make the determination between whether they are more worried about fire or toxic chemicals. However, since the quilt shouldn't be in bed with the child anyway (as per your first question), I always go for the non-flame retardant batting. Also, polyester will melt in a fire, so I always go with all-cotton batting.

anyone?
    sandy

You know, my father has never worn a seatbelt, and he's never been injured in a car wreck. Seatbelts are uncomfortable; no more for me.

My mother smoked when pregnant with my brother, and he's fine. I'm sick of scare tactics. I'm going to take up smoking.

My parents used to ride in cars on their mother's laps, with no car seat, and they were fine. I won't live my life in fear; no car seats for my kids.

In case you can't tell, I'm being highly sarcastic in an attempt to make a point.

Whenever this topic is discussed, there's a lot of "we all lived through it" opinions offered. A lot of people live through a lot of things, but that doesn't mean that we should ignore the advice of professionals (pediatricians) when it comes to the care of our children. Children do not need quilts in their cribs. Doctors advise against it because it can be dangerous. So how could anyone who loves their child, grandchild, etc, still put a quilt in with a baby? I just don't get it.

Thank you to all of you who follow the advice of pediatricians, and who follow your children's wishes when it comes to your grandchildren's care. Quilts are great for tummy time, play mats, and when outside.

I finished my first quilt for my God son five months before he was born and way before any of us found out my friend was having a boy. So there was a quilt ready for him when he came out of the womb. It became his favorite (until he got into superheroes and got Batman and Spiderman fleece throws).

I think these new "rules" are stupid. Makes it seem like any of us or babies we made quilts for are miracles because we somehow thrived with having blankets and quilts. Has any quilter here found that the quilt they made for a child ended up harming that child because the parents broke the new "rules"? And where is the evidence to back up these new rules? I want to see some research, darn it! Yeah, there's probably a few things to watch out for like not wrapping your baby in 10 layers of quilt or wrapping it around their little head, but that's just common sense.

Go make that quilt and don't worry so much about the rules some idiot came up with. The kid will be fine.

If you're still worried about flamibility, off the top of my head, I think Dharma Trading has a product to treat fabric with to make it more flame resistant.

First of all, I am glad for yuor honest concern. But babies have had quilts are long as quilts have been made. You do not have a make a HUGE quilt for an infant. I am new-born sizes about 30 x 30" -- just enough to lay over them or use in a carrier.

As far as weight? There are good UNFLAMABLE batting to use that are very safe. In doubt? Talk with the Mom and ask her what she thinks.

Julie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast