Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tangled mess >

Tangled mess

Tangled mess

Old 06-21-2015, 04:44 AM

I haven't found the "mess" to be so horrible that it takes but a minute or two after taking it out of the washing machine to snip.

But then, I don't use my dryer very often....I suppose that helps.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:47 AM

quiltingcandy, I use the rotary cutter pinking blade and it works like a charm. Just bought another blade as a backup as those can't be sharpened. Have also tried the chopping off the corner but didn't find that worked as well. I don't wash my fabrics before I use them anyway but I do dunk them into starch and press before cutting.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:26 AM

I wash on the gentle cycle and dry on low. I also clip the opposite corners.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I just wash/dry; deal with the tangles. Really doesn't bother me all that much. Just get out my snips and start clipping. Takes less time to snip off the mess than dealing with prepping the fabric for no mess!
That's what I do....just throw it in the washer and deal with what comes out!
Old 06-21-2015, 05:40 AM

I baste across the raw edges.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:11 AM

I mostly soak mine, use hot water and very little soap, agitate to stir the soap around, soak 15-20 then spin, refill barely agitate and spin, it doesn't really happen in the dryer so I just let it go. Still have some tangles but not as many. I mostly use this when washing several pieces together and I never do anything smaller than a yard.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:36 AM

I am a serger. It really takes very little time...and if you are dealing with yardage (like backings etc) the 30 seconds it takes to serge WAAAY out weights the time it would take me to press 3+ yards. I also wash after 2 incidents with fabrics that bled and Bled and BLED after I made a quilt with them. Washing is easy for me after all that heart ache. Ya do what ya need to do!
Old 06-21-2015, 06:38 AM

I have always washed the fabrics on the gentle cycle and have not had a lot of tangles.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I use a narrow, long-stitch length zig-zag stitch or overcast the edges with a long,narrow stitch.

I used to lose up up to an inch of fabric on each end on some fabrics if it had been cut wonky or was loosely woven. The overcast stitching is fairly easy to remove if one wants to keep and use every smidgen of fabric purchased.

Maybe someone can explain -

What I really do not understand - if someone feels a three yard piece of fabric should be washed - what is different about the fabric characteristics of a fat-eighth that would make it not necessary to be washed?

I have had a scrap do damage because I thought "Oh, this came from a LQS, so I will be lazy about it, and think it will be okay." It wasn't.

Now I soak the pieces in hot water (in a bucket, the sink, a kettle - whatever) and then wash in the machine on a short, gentle cycle.

I feel that it is the agitation of washing and drying that makes a fabric look "used" - so I try to keep that to a minimum now.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-21-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:29 AM

I used to zig zag my edges, but then I was having trouble with my machine light (vibrations from the zig zagging would make the light go out; it turned out to be a faulty light), so I started making several small notches along the cut edges; the fabric frays between the notches, but there are none of the longer threads that wrap around and cause wrinkles. Now that my light situation is fixed, I could go back to zig zagging, but the notching is faster and doesn't waste thread. However, I believe I lost less fabric with the zig zagging and it was neater, and not all those bits of tangled thread everywhere.