Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: taste changes

taste changes

Do you find that over the years your taste in fabrics changes? I do. I used to like flowered fabrics, but now not so much. I used to like civil war reproduction fabrics, still do, but need to brighten them up somewhat. I didn't used to like batiks, but now I love them. Go figure.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Yes! I first bought calicos in soft or muted colors-thinking that's all quilts used. Also bought a bunch of white and cream for backing because again I thought those were the RULES! I would never have made many quilts if I had stuck to those beliefs. I love color and I love print or coordinating fabric for backing.
    Joyce

Yep, kind of frustrating really. As Joyce said above, a lot of my purchases were because i thought i was going by the rules!

My tastes in styles have changed, but my color preferences have been consistent. It helps that there are so many more fabric colors, patterns, and styles available now to spark ideas - back in the little tiny sprigged calico era it would have been hard to imagine a Convergence quilt, or a bargello!

Alison

My changed also and I gave away the fabric I no longer liked to a friend for her charity quilts. I also sew with fabric I love.

I used to really love the homespun plaids and anything rustic country. I still like them, although not as much. I really like brights, so I have a lot to choose from, and I also like some of the newer prints that are out now. I also now love batiks. And as said above, my color choices are about the same, just the type of patten has changed.

Sounds awfully familiar. Eventually I'll probably make the 1600 quilts out of those fabrics I used to love. They will make good gift or charity quilts.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Yes, taste in fabrics does change. I'm loving all the bright modern fabrics. I donate all those fabrics I'm no longer interested in. Does not make sense to hold on to them. If I don't like the fabric, the project will never get completed.

A good reason not to buy to buy too much that you might not like later
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

My problem in fabric is not the change in taste but those few pcs that I buy and then later on when I pull them I go "what the heck was I thinking when I got this.....lol) but still I never thought I would touch batiks and now I am on my third quilt this month and already my head planing for the fourth one....
    Faten
    Www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Work like you don't need the money
    Love like you have never been hurt