Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tea/Coffee Dyeing Instructions???

Hello All,

I just bought Bareroots BOM houses, and want to tea or coffee dye the muslin. I know someone told me to do it with tan Rit dye, but I have no idea where to find it. Can someone share their tea dye "recipe"? Many thanks!

I never use Dye..I just make some really strong coffee in and pour it into a large pan...then dip each item in and hang to dry...I have also added cinnimon and vanilla depending on what I am making,,,,,

coffee dyed cloth
    Name:  Attachment-106889.jpe
Views: 86
Size:  37.1 KB

I need to tea dye rick rack for trim on a tote. Can I expect the dye to fade if I wash the tote in the washing machine?
    I thought I would set the tea with vinegar and then press with a hot iron. Am I on the right track?

Blog Entries
    Keep in mind that coffee and tea are pretty high in acid and not really good for archival purposes. I have dolls I made about 15 years ago in which I used tea dyed fabric and it's starting to disintegrate a little at the seams.

rit dye is available in most grocery stores- in the laundry isle- same area of walmart/kmart/meyers& (big box stores)
    if you use tea or coffee-make a strong batch- the longer it soaks the darker the (stain) will be- after rinsing you can try to neutralize the acid- with vinegar or peroxide-
    then heat set. there is the possibility of the stain to fade over time with laundering- but it depends on how often it's washed- and the conditions (cold water- mild detergent..) sun also fades -- but the washing and sun has that effect pretty much on all fabrics-not just tea/coffee stained fabrics.

Thank you Ladies. I need to step up my search for Rit.