Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
quick and easy dyeing with tea and coffee >

quick and easy dyeing with tea and coffee

quick and easy dyeing with tea and coffee

Old 11-13-2010, 05:14 PM

I wanted to antique some muslin for a red-work project, but I did not want to haul out all my dye supplies for a small project. So I decided to dye with tea and coffee. I used the cheapest tea and instant coffee I could find an plain table salt to make it more color fast. I used 2 tablespoons per cup. I dyed fat eighths and fat quarters in coffee mugs. I dissolved both tea and coffee and salt in boiling water, filling the mug about 3/4 full and then wet the fabric, scrunched it up good and submersed it into the cup, leave undisturbed for about 4-5 hours. The colors in the photo are a bit more washed out than in reality but the colors are subtle not vibrant. I am not sure how fade proof the fabric is but it is washed and I used retayne to set color. Since I am going to use these pieces to make some mug rugs I think future coffee and tea stains will only enhance the finished project over time. Since only tea, coffee and salt was used it is an easily accessible technique and I like the idea of making mug rugs from this fabric....Now I have to work on the embroidery, I have some nice mug designs that should be perfect.
In order this is what I used,
1. undyed, for color change refference
2. tea bags, at least six, color a bit more orange
3. coffee, quarter cup of instant, nice brownish tan
4. mud made from some left over red and green dye ( I was doing some sweat shirts for Christmas.) hints of red and green but a little dark for embroidery
5.unknown herbal tea I didn't like the taste of, pinkish hue
6. Tea with a little coffee, more grayish

two mugs in use for dyeing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125930[/ATTACH]

examples of dyed cloth
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125931[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-125925.jpe   attachment-125926.jpe  
Old 11-13-2010, 05:39 PM

Nice and easy tute and all ingredients except the mud are on hand all the time. Thank you for showing these. I like the one w/the mud. Could one use rit dyes to make a mud of their own?
Old 11-13-2010, 05:41 PM

Thanks! I am glad you shared your knowledge.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 PM

I have never use it for this and to honest I do not much like Rit Dyes. I use Procion or a fiber reactive dye. Dyeing is not very complex and I do mine in zip lock bags on the kitchen table. I get my supplies from Dharma Trading but procion dyes are readily available from most art supply stores. I use plain salt and sodium carbonate as a dye fixer. Sodium carbonate is also called washing soda but you can get it very cheap at pool supply stores. You will also need Synthropol which is a soap to so the final wash in. I use my washer, with no staining problems. If you want to get a dye book I highly recommend "Hand Dyed Fabric Made Easy" by Adriene Buffington. I get some really fabbo fabs with the zip lock method. It is hard to get it wrong.
I suggest you go to Dharma's web site and look around you might like what you see. They have wonderful blanks to dye and that is where I get my sweat and Tee Shirts for dyeing. I also recommend their bamboo socks, even if you don't dye them. They are softest, warmest socks I have ever had and every year my kids make a special request for them. I pop a couple of pair in the zip lock bag so they have matching socks. If you want to you could also try making mud with very dilute craft paint half paint and half water. Mix red and green for a brownish mud, wet the cloth, scrunch it up and stick it in a smallish container. You really want it scrunched in. Might be a good use for old butter tubs or cheapo plastic containers, even an old jam jar would work. You will have to leave it at least overnight but it can be rinsed out in the sink and heat set with your iron. I mean really what do you have to lose? Just some time and a little muslin.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 PM

Thank you so much for the lesson, will definitely check out the site and book you recommended.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

Thank you very much for the tute and all of the wonderful information :D:D:D
Old 11-13-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by kellen46
I have never use it for this and to honest I do not much like Rit Dyes. I use Procion or a fiber reactive dye. Dyeing is not very complex and I do mine in zip lock bags on the kitchen table. I get my supplies from Dharma Trading but procion dyes are readily available from most art supply stores. I use plain salt and sodium carbonate as a dye fixer. Sodium carbonate is also called washing soda but you can get it very cheap at pool supply stores. You will also need Synthropol which is a soap to so the final wash in. I use my washer, with no staining problems. If you want to get a dye book I highly recommend "Hand Dyed Fabric Made Easy" by Adriene Buffington. I get some really fabbo fabs with the zip lock method. It is hard to get it wrong.
I suggest you go to Dharma's web site and look around you might like what you see. They have wonderful blanks to dye and that is where I get my sweat and Tee Shirts for dyeing. I also recommend their bamboo socks, even if you don't dye them. They are softest, warmest socks I have ever had and every year my kids make a special request for them. I pop a couple of pair in the zip lock bag so they have matching socks. If you want to you could also try making mud with very dilute craft paint half paint and half water. Mix red and green for a brownish mud, wet the cloth, scrunch it up and stick it in a smallish container. You really want it scrunched in. Might be a good use for old butter tubs or cheapo plastic containers, even an old jam jar would work. You will have to leave it at least overnight but it can be rinsed out in the sink and heat set with your iron. I mean really what do you have to lose? Just some time and a little muslin.
I bought that book when I first wanted to try dyeing my own fabrics and it really is great. I also buy all of my dyes from Dharma as well as my pfd fabrics and tshirts etc that I hand paint designs on. They are great and their service is excellent. I also do all of my dyeing in the kitchen in ziplock bags.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:20 AM

i love tea dyed muslin, but they don't carry it wide.

i have wanted to try this,using unbleached muslin, in the washing machine with larger pieces,i think i will now! thanks for the tutorial!

should the piece be washed first,to get any chemicals out of it, that came from the company?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:46 AM

should the piece be washed first,to get any chemicals out of it, that came from the company?[/quote]

Unless the seller specifies ready for dye always wash first to get rid of any sizing.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:10 AM

I bought that book when I first wanted to try dyeing my own fabrics and it really is great. I also buy all of my dyes from Dharma as well as my pfd fabrics and tshirts etc that I hand paint designs on. They are great and their service is excellent. I also do all of my dyeing in the kitchen in zip-lock bags.[/quote]

Yes it is a wonderful company...have you tried the bamboo socks? Sooo comfy. Also the silk scarves....did you know you can color them using sharpie markers and rubbing alcohol....an almost instant result..really vibrant colors and a kid friendly craft. I just did some Christmas themed fabric, using a Chinese red and a forest green. I wanted an ombre effect so I pleated some muslin, 2yards, tightly into a plastic tub and used red on one end and green on the other hoping they would meld into the center with a nice brown mud. Then I scrumpled another 2yards on the top and poured some bronze over it hoping for some dyes to absorb up and add some color. and another yard scrumpled on top with no dye poured over it;then I squished it down a bit and put another tub over it to add light pressure. I love the crystalline forms I got. Big surprise though was where the green and red met I got a lot of dark maroon and not brown. I did get my ombre though. So 2yards of very high color, 2yards of some color and a lot of neutral and one yard of very light tanish scrumple. A great result.

colors in the picture are a bit off but mostly OK
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126188[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-126183.jpe