Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
teaching quilting to grade 8's >

teaching quilting to grade 8's

teaching quilting to grade 8's

Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 PM

Default teaching quilting to grade 8's

so the principle at my kids' school asked me to come in and teach the grade 8 class about quilting, to make a quilt with them that they can enter into the year end art competition that is all the schools in the district. i have been thinking and thinking and i know i want them to each make 2 squares (i have no idea how many their are, 25-30 i am guessing) one square would be a traditional quilt square like a pinwheel or something and the other would be iron on applique and i will let them sew around it with fancy stitching themselves. so does that sound good, or do you think it will be too hard for them? i'm not too sure. my oldest is that age and she does complex needle work and designs her own projects but she is very artistic and driven so i'm not sure what to expect from the other kids. any suggestions on getting them involved, ideas or advice?
Old 01-19-2012, 02:14 PM

The first question you probably want to get an answer to is how many of them know how to sew, either by hand or using a machine. If they all can sew, then making simple blocks would work once you teach them how to do the blocks you want from them. If none or only a few can sew then I would think it would be an entirely different ballgame. Fancy stitching on the machine might be too much for some of them, but maybe blanket stitch applique by hand would work. Canadian schools might be different, but in our school district here in Texas the 7th graders are just now learning to make a pillow using a patchwork method totally 16 5" squares for the top. One of the grandkids is doing that now. Good luck and keep us posted on how the project goes.

mltquilt
Old 01-19-2012, 03:01 PM

I was helping my nieces 4th grade class a couple of years ago. Each child had a choice of making a quilt or a pillow. (Most chose the pillow). The instructors (myself and another quilter) cut their 5" blocks for them. They hand sewed their blocks into rows using a 9-patch pattern. The pieces were then stuffed (pillows) or sandwiched (by the instructors). The students then hand-stitched their respective openings closed. All were displayed in a school-wide art display and then taken home at the end of the year. You're students are older so may be more advanced. Might also want to check with the teacher to see if this is to be an individual project or a class project.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 PM

I bet they would love the 3 dude block/quilt or even easier the ten min block would be perfect for them. Quick and easy

Last edited by carolaug; 01-19-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:28 PM

all good suggestions.
i am guessing alot of them probably don't know how to sew but i figured working a sewing machine with help should be easy enough for those that don't know how to had sew.
we don't have any type of sewing or extra curricular stuff at schools here. no shop, no parenting, no music. we live in a small town and we used to have all that stuff but the school boards amalgumated(spelling?) a few years ago and the new schoolboard cut everything to schools outside their city limits.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:21 PM

do 9 patches, 4 patches, and log cabins... let them all vote on their top 5 colors and chose 2 or 3 from these...a limited color palette can help it all go together for beginners... they can all handle that.. give them one block to do and then have a second choice for them if they like it enough to get done with that one... you can always fill the quilt with plain (solid or printed) alternate blocks... be sure to put a border on because it will look so much finished when hanging in an art show.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 PM

I think you are on the right track. Even a simple 4 patch can be turned into a beautiful quilt. I think they will enjoy the applique too. Be sure to post it when they finish!!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM

As a former teacher of middle school math I suggest you talk with the math and art teachers. If this is a middle school then the integration of the subjects is done quite often and helps the students. For example: the design in Math and Art, the coloration in art, the description of the process or what it means to them is English/writing, and the history of quilt making is Social Studies.

For those students more advanced making an Escher style block would be fun. I have some great resources on that, but expect the teachers in the school have the same thing. If not, PM me.

For those not so advanced these teachers could also help in the design of simple blocks so the students understand the 1/4" seam allowances of each part of the block ... and the impact of color on the finished product.

ali
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 PM

I would keep it simple as I'm sure many of the kids have never been exposed to sewing of any kind. You want this to be a fun and positive experience for them, not a frustrating one. Matching seams relies too much om perfect 1/4" seams and that takes some time to learn so I wouldn't consider a pinwheel. Someone suggested a 10 min block and I think that's a great one, too.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi View Post
I would keep it simple as I'm sure many of the kids have never been exposed to sewing of any kind. You want this to be a fun and positive experience for them, not a frustrating one. Matching seams relies too much om perfect 1/4" seams and that takes some time to learn so I wouldn't consider a pinwheel. Someone suggested a 10 min block and I think that's a great one, too.
REEEEEallly think about that block...this thing takes a half dozen times for experienced quilter... people write in about it all the time about the trouble they are having remembering how to hold and fold and sew... i thought the idea about contacting the other teachers and coordinating another subject would be great... you know how kids always think there is no practical reason for math... this is it!