Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teaching quilting

Teaching quilting

My recent return to quilting has lead me to wax poetic about the joy of building a quilt to a number of friends.
    The upshot of this is that one of them has asked me to teach her to quilt! While I have confidence that I learned the lessons of my grandmother and mother well, and I have learned an amazing amout during my brief membership here, I have no idea how to go about teaching someone else! I do not want her to be put off because of a lousy teacher - any advice, direction, words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Teaching a friend to quilt can be much easier than giving lessons to a group. Just choose an easy pattern, and start the quilt with her. You could even both work on the same quilt, or quilts of the same pattern, at once. At each step show her how you're doing it, let her practice, and give her honest feedback. You will both have fun.

Sounds like a really good way to create or deepen a friendship and make something wonderful.

I taught a friend. She wanted to make a quilt for her mom. Lessons were brief and frequent and closely scheduled together.
    Day 1: peruse multiple patterns (that I had preselected) and pictures and pick a "doable" quilt
    Day 2: shop for fabrics (I took home, washed and ironed)
    Day 3: cut fabric
    Day 4, 5, 6: make blocks
    Day 7: layout blocks and sew rows together
    Day 8: finish piecing top/pin/quilt (we used walking foot and very simple pattern)
    Day 9: Bind

She had a good time, learned how to make a basic block and her mother loved the quilt. I made sure that the quilt pattern wasn't too difficult and the fabric wasn't too expensive.

Banned
    The National Quilting Association has a booklet - "Teaching Basic Quiltmaking" It might be helpful to you.

Hopetoquilt - what patterns did you preselect? We will be working weekends, as she doesn't have a machine, and I am thinking that a tied quilt is the best option, as I can only hand quilt or tie!

Maybe start out with a simple table runner. Will give her a start to see if it is something she is really going to like, and not have much money tied up in it. It finishes quick so there is a feeling of accomplishment.

Make it fun. Just work with her and she will be able to ask questions. That will be very helpful for her.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

All advice sounds good to me. My aunt and I did a block of the month club at local fabric store. I would do the class and then we met and I would go over it with her. We had a great time. Also cost effective. In 2005 less than 8.00 a packet. Enjoy. Teresa

If she doesn't seem to take to the table runner idea here's 2 more: a few different blocks and make throw pillows or a bed runner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast